Windows is now seldom used

Thanks to eos, I now boot into windows maybe once a week, if even that.

Around christmas I was bored and wanted to try something new. Now I can’t remember how I found eos, but I’m very thankful that I did, because in the last two months I learned so much about linux.
Before that I tried mint, popos and ubuntu, but nothing really hooked me as much as endeavour. I think it’s because you actually have to put in some effort to get things running the way you want, but when they do, it feels so much more rewarding. Oh, and I think KDE also played a big part in it. :smiley:
Now theres three linux distros on my SSD and windows 11, but everytime I boot it up, it feels so sluggish compared to eos, I’m really considering ditching it all together. But since I have more than enough space, it’s staying for now. :sweat_smile:

So thank you guys, and the endeavour team (and the arch team btw…), for showing me so much interesting stuff about OSes.

13 Likes

Kill it…kill it!!!

honka_memes-128px-40

KILL IT!!!11111

12 Likes

Great to have you with us, - enjoy the journey. As for Windows, - use whatever’s right for you, - the right tool for the right job. Some of us have to use Windows for work, but use Linux everywhere else. Some have a foot in both camps, there’s no right or wrong, it’s an OS, a tool, find what works for you!

What’s your favourite things that you’ve learned you can do with Linux in comparison to other platforms?

2 Likes

One of the last things I’d miss for my gaming desktop is HDR.
But there is experimental support already.

1 Like

Thats right, for example I wasn’t able to get vsync working on eos for this one game, and because of that the FPS went through the roof and that gave me somewhat annoying coil whine. That’s pretty much the only reason I used windows.

As to what’s my favorite thing that I can do with linux, I think it’s actually using the command line and customizing several terminal tools and the terminal itself. I don’t have to use the computer for work and only use it in my free time, so I enjoyed everything that kept me engaged. And since gaming isn’t as enjoyable as some years ago, things like setting up a small linux web-server and running a searxng instance for example, kept the boredom at bay. Sure, I could’ve done this under windows aswell, but under linux, it all felt more natural.

3 Likes

Welcome :slight_smile:

Like most things - if you don’t use it for a long time - get rid of it. It feels so good once you finally find that one distro and that one install and everything just works.

2 Likes

Yeah, you pretty much lose all the security and privacy benefits of Linux when you dual boot with this niche gaming platform full of malware that can read and modify your Linux partitions without your consent.

If you want my advice, you should reconsider the whole concept of dual booting and just delete your windoze partitions. Maybe reinstall EndeavourOS to be sure windoze didn’t leave any nasty stuff on them.

1 Like

Interesting, I’ve never even mentioned privacy or security as my focus, but I’ll consider your advice.

Any assertion without the backing of evidence, proof, documentation, source and real life examples, is just an assertion. Just my two Bolívares :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah windows is garbage now win10 is slow and full of bugs, i formated my SSD and went full Linux(EndeavourOS) like 20 years ago!
i will do the same with my wife’s computer soon.
never any more Windows!

Windoze can read and write to ext4 partitions. Anyone who thinks that windoze cannot do that is a fool, because that is easy to demonstrate. Whether windoze actually does anything malicious or privacy invading is a separate issue. It is proprietary soyftware so it is difficult to have a definite proof either way. They have been caught red-handed many times in the past.

However, it is an indisputable fact that it can do that.

Now, would Micro$oft ever abuse that power? Anyone can be the judge of that for his own use case.

Also, it is entirely possible, and doesn’t seem that difficult, for a third party to create a malicious program that infects windoze systems, and then deploys its payload to any Linux root directory it finds on other partitions. This payload could then execute in kernel space with full privilges the next time Linux system is booted, taking full control of it. Does such malware exist outside my imagination? I don’t know, but my bet would be yes, since it is something I could probably do if I were a morally corrupt person, and there are malware authors who are much more skilled and knowledgeable than me.

1 Like

Never!

1 Like

ditch it for good, learning and using Linux will change your life for the better.
In the future, if nostalgia hit you and you absolutely want to log in a Windows environment, just do that in a virtual machine :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum! Glad to hear you’re enjoying Endeavour. :slight_smile: There’s no shame in keeping Windows around for part of your workflow (if it works for you). Nothing wrong with adapting to a new OS, though. That can be a rewarding experience.

I can’t speak on dual booting Linux/Windows in the order you’ve described, as I haven’t kept an install around since 2021-ish. However, installing Windows after Linux can cause some issues, in my experience.

Example: my partner did so on a second drive in our desktop, and the installer wrote the boot manager on the first drive automatically :roll_eyes: something to keep in mind, should you decide to re-install in the future.

Edit:
@LDC 's advice on using a VM is also a good idea. Sometimes I boot into a 2000/Vista VM just to get that rush of nostalgia

I’ve seen it in the wild before, it definitely exists.

Some variations can be executed even through wine.
Some variations target bootloader, some root.

P.S. I imagine to be successful it would still require few 0 days though…but still the danger is real.

1 Like

Actually, it does not require any vulnerability on Linux, just to be executed on windoze that dual boots with Linux. Since windoze can modify Linux partitions, it can modify the Linux kernel itself. It completely bypasses POSIX permissions.

1 Like

Of course, i haven’t said that…I mean to do something meaningful (like full system hijack or something) - it would require some serious malware work.

However to destroy stuff…or ransomware stuff…that’s easy.

Executing arbitrary code in kernel space is the very definition of “full system hijack”, and that is very easy to accomplish if you have the ability to write to an unmounted root partition.

But it’s enough to install a keylogger to gather your passwords, or a cryptominer. Or good old ransomware.

1 Like

I should write some malware that would swap KDE ↔ Gnome for all dualboot users… :rofl:
That will teach dualbooters!

honka_memes-128px-41

3 Likes

just change the system language to chinese, instant panic

1 Like