Will Endeavor OS always support offline install with calamares installer

hello, yes, test our iso or go through github

Well with a new VM just added blank drive and system installed without any fuss. Super Massive update after booting it up for the first time. Testing more laterā€¦ so far so good.

itā€™s normal, youā€™re on an archlinux

1 Like

Dear Fernando,

I appreciate that many, i not most, prospective users will want to use an online installer.

That said, I do hope that youā€™ll keep the option of using an offline installer using Calamares for those who want or need to install the program that way.

I ask you to please keep the option of downloading an .iso which uses the Calamares installer for an offline installation.

Thanking you for your consideration, I am,

Very truly yours,

Lawrence

1 Like

@lhb1142

A window will popup at boot, so the user will choose online/offline install. So the same iso can handle it all.

I know some people may prefer a minimum iso to use online installer, bur for now is easier for us to make only one iso with both options.

Iā€™ll always use offline install here too, install is much much faster and add another DE is just as easy as installing a package in the installed system.

*keep in mind the offline install set the iso DE, meaning, xfce4.

2 Likes

Dear Fernando,

Thatā€™s fine! One .iso with both options is perfect, in my opinion.

As far the offline installation option offering only Xfce, well, thatā€™s fine with me too. I have been using Xfce almost exclusively for the past four or five years and I find it to be the best DE I have tried (and I have used Gnome 2 and 3, Unity [YUCK], Cinnamon, MATE, KDE and at least one or two others whose names I cannot remember just now).

I am glad that the online installation option will give people the option of other desktops.

And if those who must use the offline installer do not like Xfce, well, it is easy to change desktops.

The more choices offered, the more people will come to EndeavourOS.

Thank you.

Lawrence

2 Likes

Unity yuckā€¦ I know unity is heavy weight desktop but I actually miss unity for arch itā€™s not Ubuntuā€™s main de anymore but the latest Ubuntu still has it in the repos unfortunately unity for arch died as soon as canonicals announcement that there main de would be gnomeā€¦

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unity & https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unity3D :smile:

the PKGBUILDs and patchs very out of date it wonā€™t even buildā€¦ Iā€™ve switched back to ubuntuā€¦

You do what you want

if you miss unity building is a pain to maintain even its also build on a gnome stackā€¦