Will adding a new user allow easier usage of >1 DE/WM?

Title. I always wanted to test other desktop environments such as Xfce and Budgie and also other Window managers like Sway but I’ve always heard that installing more than one DE or WM will create problems with stability. Does adding a new user get around this issue? Thanks in advance.

Adding a WM generally doesn’t cause issues (at all). However, adding another DE usually does.

Yes, creating a new user for another DE can mitigate issues, as the new DE is less likely to mess with your current user’s/DE’s settings. That being said, the safest way to test another DE is using a VM with GPU pass-through.

This avoids any and all possible issues entirely while still giving a more realistic feel of what to expect should you decide to switch DEs.

2 Likes

Ah alright, I was just curious. Steering off topic, do you have a tutorial for a VM with GPU pass-through? I would like to try running EnOS with other DE’s but I don’t have a secondary desktop or laptop and don’t want to create problems with my current install.

I’d recommend virt-manager if you have enough Linux experience. Here’s a tutorial from the EndeavourOS Team: https://discovery.endeavouros.com/applications/how-to-install-virt-manager-complete-edition/2021/09/

If you are not that familiar, you can use virtualbox instead. Another tutorial: https://discovery.endeavouros.com/applications/how-to-install-virtualbox/2021/03/

Ill take a look at virt-manager, but I thought virtualbox doesn’t have GPU pass-through?

You’re right. I forgot about that.

Regarding GPU pass-through in virt-manager, once you use the “Full-featured install” setup, you should be able to access it. I think there is a thread here with a tutorial specifically for GPU pass-through, but I can’t find it right now.

I’ll scourge through and see if I can find it, but for now I’ll install virt-manager. Thank you for your time

1 Like

Just remembered I actually have VMs on this machine. Here’s a screenshot:

You’re welcome.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.