WiFi network disconnects and gets blocked

Hi guys, quick post as I don’t know how long this will last. The WiFi connects, works, and then suddenly disconnects - but then also the network disappears and doesn’t load anymore. Other networks do show and connecting to the phone hotspot works fine. The network also stays on on other devices (laptop, my brother’s phone, my phone, work’s phone).
I already spoke with ISP they did “their thing” and “updated the thing” and considering the other stuff works, I reckon it might be something with this computer. I only have been updating it, not instantly but maybe after 2 or 3 days each time; perhaps not enough.
I have tried switching the driver from 68 to 69 (I know it says it’s for wired) but didn’t work. Also the issue persists on both kernels, latest (stable) and LTS. I attach some screenshots. The network is the EAC6. As you can see if I check the “hidden” it shows but can’t connect (which is weird, I would expect hidden to be to not see it).
I know I could spend more time researching but I work in the middle of the week and the internet cutting off for random amounts of time and on occasions makes it a bit hard and tedious. I will however provide any info you request and need.
It also feels that it will be more likely to drop if it’s on usage (downloads, streaming videos, etc). Thanks a lot from now. Also, should I go back to the 68 driver? If yes, how? (the button switch doesn’t show on Welcome screen anymore).

Edit: Forgot to say I do NOT use wired connection. It’s all Wi-Fi.


Could we get the output of inxi -Naz so we can see all the details about the wifi adapter?

Assuming you’re referring to r8168/8169 then that’s an Ethernet driver and won’t have any effect on wifi.

Inxi output:

Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
    vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: N/A modules: r8169 port: f000
    bus-ID: 25:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:8168 class-ID: 0200
  Device-2: Ralink RT2870/RT3070 Wireless Adapter type: USB
    driver: rt2800usb bus-ID: 1-6:2 chip-ID: 148f:3070 class-ID: 0000
    serial: <filter>

I was referring to the 8168/69. I couldn’t remember the first 2 numbers for the full name :sweat_smile:

This is a kernel module so the “best” way to switch the driver is to switch kernels.

However, this suggests the driver itself is not at fault, so the next thing to try would be to disable MAC randomisation in your wifi settings. Having randomisation enabled can confuse various adapters and wifi access points.

I don’t know, the other networks show well and connecting to my phone hotspot works perfectly fine. I also just had trouble sending messages on the phone through the Wi-Fi. I think the network is the culprit and this PC is working perfectly. I’ll bug ISP again tomorrow. Thanks a lot for the help.

Hey Jon, good morning. Last night was coincidental I think. I disconnected again just now but phone stayed connected and working fine. So now I think this might actually be this computer kicking out/being kicked from the network. I also have a blank file called “wifi_rand_mac.conf”. It has nothing in it. I think I created it for the purpose of this: It takes a long time to establish a WiFi connection [Video added] - #63 by latisullivan
I checked systemctl status and wpa_supplicant still masked and inactive, and iwd is running. I thought maybe if both were running because of system updates it could cause trouble. But that seems ok.
I searched how to disable randomization and found this down below, is this the way how to do it? Thanks a lot.

[…]creating file /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/30-mac-randomization.conf with content

[device-mac-randomization]
wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=yes

[connection-mac-randomization]
ethernet.cloned-mac-address=permanent
wifi.cloned-mac-address=permanent

Edit: The weirdest thing: If I used my phone and connected to the hotspot, the network (EAC6) would appear. But trying to connect to it wouldn’t work and then disappear. I decided to try to use the live bootable image and see if I could connect from there. I could, tried watching a video. After some minutes it dropped connection, but could connect again. Decided to change back to wpa_supplicant. It works, at least I can connect. It drops the connection a lot (internet-wise) but at least doesn’t break the network connection.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.