Why use EndeavourOS now that Arch has an installer?

Just to be clear I wrote: In the most positive outcome, so we’re not going anywhere in the near future. :wink:

12 Likes

Gives a sense of relief!! :relieved:

Basically we are talking about “ideal” scenario as science textbooks call it. “most positive” = ideal. We can never achieve them. :rofl:

Endeavour OS is not phasing out at least before we get it to the Moon! :rocket: :first_quarter_moon: :enos_flag:

3 Likes

It doesn’t do a lot of input validation. If you miss anything or put an invalid value in, it fails.

3 Likes

pffft…validation is bloat! :rofl:
They could embed suicide Linux in there to fix this :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

In it’s current state, I think it does two things decently well.

• If you skip the DE part, you can get a working, minimal Arch install more quickly than typing everything by hand. There is minimal customization here, but it is good for spinning up a VM quickly to test something
  • It is a great framework for writing a custom scripted install if you want/need a repeatable install without having to write a bespoke script. This does require some very basic Python knowledge(or the willingness to acquire it).
5 Likes

Probably because we are based on Arch rather than Arch being based on us.

1 Like

also, I’m not sure you’d want the Arch community to join the EndeavourOS community :slight_smile:
Although, truth be told, there are a just few names on the Arch forum, admins mainly, that are omnipresent and which contribute to the poor reputation that forum has. These few people give the overall image of that forum.

2 Likes

No, not in the current state :smile:
But honestly, don’t take me all too seriously…

1 Like

I STILL think it’s an April fools joke and they are still going with it.

I haven’t tried it yet, but it’s on my to-do list. I’m quite interested to find out what you think about it.

1 Like

I’ve done like 5 installs in VM’s now, and definitely overall not that impressed. It’s VERY basic. VERY basic. I’ve played around with installing a afew things, and so far it’s all worked, although again, very basic and you have to know the exact package names, no way to search if you forget the EXACT name. I have found no way to do a multi-partition install via this. I have found no way to do a multi-drive install via this.
So would I recommend it?
No
Would I use it when there’s something like EndeavourOS out there?
No
Could I realistically use it and function?
Yes, although it would actually be more work, since I’d have to make my /home partition after install, copy all the data over, boot to external media to delete the original to free the space.
Will I use it?
No, although I will continue to test it as time goes on to see if they improve it to the point where it’s actually flexible enough to be worth using.

As far as the future, I cannot see most people re-integrating into the Arch community at large. While I’m sure some have never had the pleasure of dealing with them, I personally would quit using Arch-based distro’s before I’d ever deal with that level of toxicity again.

1 Like

I have never experienced any issues on the Arch forum.

Not “defeat” good @Bryanpwo … more of a :slight_smile:

Well done!

4 Likes

I’ve tried it also and I’m not that thrilled with any of the install scripts out there including this one. Some are better than others but if I’m going to install this way i will just do it the Arch way. I have found the quickest way with the least amount of steps and it works really well for me installing Kde Plasma.

2 Likes

I cannot see myself ever using this installer. It is very simplistic and kinda flakey. Better no installer than something like this.

I don’t like certain system defaults (ie /boot partition, systemd-resolve, package bloat, etc), custom luks partitioning and attempting in place install doesn’t work.

I think most Arch users will have their own install scripts that do a much better job.

Well, even if EndeavourOS becomes redundant because of the Arch installer (not likely to happen any time soon, given the state of this installer), we’ll still have our forum here, and nobody can take that away from us.

5 Likes

Don’t be sure about that, my green friend!

Unfortunately, I remember far too many forums I’ve been to that have disappeared! :confused:

Edit:

SPARYdio has been one of my favorite sites a long time ago. 20 years ago or so. It was a music page with forums and you could wish for your own music. Then Spotify came along and ruined everything!

Facebook has ruined a lot of forums and so on. Big Tech destroys a lot and lures people in to make money and sell data.

Nothing lasts forever!

1 Like

@nate I could not agree more with your statement.

I miss the heyday of forums.

Especially within gaming communities, like WoW. Everything is Discord these days. And whilst Discord is fine (actually it’s a great program), it supplanting forums for guilds and such is a backwards step IMO.

2 Likes

I can’t see that happening. This installer doesn’t make it that much easier in my opinion. People are not all of a sudden going to flock to Arch because it has this installer. I don’t even like it to be honest and I will use my own method installing Arch if i want to do it the hard way.

4 Likes

Is your own method called Endeavour? :smiley:

2 Likes