Why does Calamares not offer a mountpoint /boot/efi for the efi partition?

I installed yesterday on an old laptop EOS with systemd-boot and I have a question about the mountpoint of the efi partition. I am used from the previous installation to mount the efi partition under /boot/efi when installing with Calamares, Now only /efi or /boot is offered as mountpoint. I read in the Arch-Wiki that it is recommended to mount the efi partition under /boot when installing with systemd-boot. But this did not work. I mounted it under /efi with boot as marker. That worked, but also only on the 2nd try. The 1st installation attempt then booted from the stick again. Which mountpoint for the efi partition is correct?Why does Calamares not offer a mountpoint /boot/efi for the efi partition?

1 Like

/boot/efi doesn’t make much sense for systemd-boot. That is the common mountpoint for grub.

Calamares has a fixed mountpoint for the EFI partition. We use /boot/efi for grub and /efi for systemd-boot.

While there is nothing wrong with using /boot as the EFI partition location, there is also no good reason to do so when using kernel-install. Doing that just puts extra files in the ESP.

1 Like

Thanks @dalto, that makes it clear to me. But I wonder why I then booted back into the live sytem from the stick on the 1st install attempt. On the 2nd attempt, which then worked, I did nothing differently. There must be something here that I still do not understand …

Without seeing the logs it is hard to say what might have happened exactly.

Well, I can’t show the logs now, because this installation has already been transferred again. But OK, the old little laptop now runs as it should. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.