Why do I force myself to dual boot?!

2hours so far and 3 is meant to a reasonable wait! 20201026_143107

2 Likes

Good question, what reason do you have?
Maybe we can help you solve it and run on Linux with native or through Wine :slight_smile:

3 Likes

People are known to do crazy things for no reason. :wink:

But seriously, I kept Windows on a machine because of BIOS updates. But now that there are no more BIOS updates for that machine anymore, I can ditch Windows. :smile:

2 Likes

I don’t really know, I guess. I’m still a student so that’s the main reason, just in case something doesn’t work, I’ve always got windows. (Thought that doesn’t sound as reassuring now).

2 Likes

Windows can be installed later if you ever happen to need it…

2 Likes

Yep, not reassuring at all…It’s also kinda dangerous now.
Well for backup you can just run VM in VirtualBox or something like that

I’d personally do EndeavourOS only boot, skip all the problems and keep them in VM just in case :wink:
Preferably Win 7 or XP VM

3 Likes

I’d do it if my laptop was powerful enough to run Windows on a VM. Unfortunately windows can’t run on 2gb with all the stuff I use without making me angry

2 Likes

How much RAM do you have? Can you install more RAM?

1 Like

Unfortunately no. I have 4gb (3.78gb actually) so if i share it it’ll be 1.5gb per either os and that doesn’t go well.

1 Like

Yeah that’s pretty low… :expressionless:
Unless you can add it’s not gonna be easy ride

2 Likes

Sounds like dual boot is your only possibility, provided you really need Windows.

3 Likes

I tell myself that everytime. I boot into it only to update. But until my uni decides to officially support Linux I guess I’ll have it installed. It’s saved me occasionally, before when teams wasn’t available for Linux but no it has no reason expect taking up hard-drive space.

Maybe one day…

1 Like

So you just want to torture yourself with Windows? :rofl:

3 Likes

Pretty much, that’s called BDSM :laughing:
And you even pay for it :rofl:

But really i feel sorry anyway…It’s sad.
Teams as in like M$ teams?

2 Likes

yeh, It’s on linux now and I use wps-office and wine for all the adobe apps, but you know maybe I enjoy it :smirk:

4 Likes

Do that 3 hours involuntary update you dirty OS!!! :zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

This is why I use ASUS motherboards. Download the bios file, rename it, copy to USB, plug usb into special usb port, and flash from within the bios! :+1:

EDIT Haven’t done this in a long time. So this method is actually not from within BIOS. The board just needs to be on-power switch on psu on no boot. Insert USB and push the special button.

2 Likes

I dont understand how microsoft ever could think 3hours was a reasonable time for a update

1 Like

They measured exact time of your personal love-hate with their super AI, any minute more - and you would throw it away!

2 Likes

Recently I ditched Windows forever from my other old laptop, because after update the login was flawed. Right after login the screen simply went between black and white, and nothing could be done.

So that was the end of Windows era on that machine. :ghost:

4 Likes