Why comes the Elisa player with VLC?

Ok, today I wanted to install Elisa music player on my girlfriend’s computer (she just likes it, what can you do …). Was very surprised when I then received the VLC as a by-catch equal. Was not so wanted. When I tried to uninstall, I got a message that Elisa has VLC as a dependency. What kind of crap is that? Doesn’t Elisa also somehow exist WITHOUT the VLC media player?

It is because it uses libvlc for music playback.

Since Arch has big non-granular packages, it has to pull in the whole player with it.

You could install libvlc from the AUR if you want to avoid that. It doesn’t really seem worth it to me personally though.

6 Likes

Not for me either, thanks @dalto

1 Like

Bro! No complaints, at least she is using a real OS! How about all those poor sods that have to throw all the doors open because the windows are broken again? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Elisa also uses baloo as a dependency. I’ve always found that baloo slows down KDE/Plasma a lot. I always disable it. Your mileage may vary but it’s something to be aware of.

2 Likes

You can fix that by having it only index file names instead file contents.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.