Which Window Manager (WM) do you use?

Here’s the other poll to complete (?) the look started by the DE poll. I posted this, also, on ArchLabs.

I thought it might be useful (and fun) to see which window managers (not fancy, high falutin desktop environments) you have tried/ use on ArchLabs.

• awesome
  • bspwm
  • cde
  • dwm
  • enlightenment
  • fluxbox
  • fvwm
  • hlwm
  • i3wm (family including sway)
  • icewm
  • jwm
  • openbox
  • pekWM
  • qtile
  • ratpoison
  • sowm
  • spectrwm
  • stumpwm
  • xmonad
  • yaxwm

0 voters

I know many are missing. Sadly, the poll thingy limits me to 20 choices…
Add you missing ‘favs’ in the comments.

3 Likes

Would be nice if you open up the results, not just by voting. The outcome is also interesting for us, the devs. :wink:

2 Likes

xfwm4

+1 :slight_smile:

xfwm4 is not here for the same reason compiz, mutter, etc. are not listed.

Not sure I can make that change… :frowning:

You can see the votes if you click on any of the given choises, without pressing the vote button.

yeah sorry, i didn’t recognize that your poll is for archlap only. i’am using endeauvour OS with xfce and xfwm4.

Actually this poll is for endeavouros… it is the same poll as I posted on ArchLabS. :wink:

Thank you for this poll by the way, I didn’t even know that there are so many WMs out there :sweat_smile: I actually checked some of them out and found one that I really like so far :slight_smile:

1 Like

Reading this I just realized I’m using xfwm4, is it easy to change the window manager?

Just install the WM and boot into it via DM or xinitrc. Changing the default WM used in a DE is somewhat more complicated and the procedure probably depends on the DE.
For xfce - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/xfce#Use_a_different_window_manager

2 Likes

[Window Maker is an X11 window manager originally designed to provide integration support for the GNUstep Desktop Environment, although it can run stand alone. In every way possible, it reproduces the elegant look and feel of the NeXTSTEP user interface.](https://www.windowmaker.org/)

Why would you use anything else. :grin:

Been playing around with my first window manager not named i3 for the past couple days–bspwm. So far, so good. I’ll probably try a bunch of the popular ones just to compare and contrast.

1 Like

I’ve never tried Window Maker for 2 reasons.

1. It has a pronounceable name.
  2. It has a descriptive and simple making sense name (it makes windows, duh)

It’s just embarassing and boring.

Take for example herbstluftwm (my personal favorite). It looks and sounds perfect both in its short and its long form (especially if you have no idea how to pronounce that). And the name has nothing to do with what it actually does.
Or bspwm (Binary Space Partitioning Window Manager) is a great choice as well. It’s name alone will make you look smart!

1 Like

[shameless plug]
fwiw I posted the following on a Debian-base distro (MX) forum yesterday…

Anyone interested in tiling window managers (tilers)?

[/shamelees plug]

1 Like

It’s nice to see you over here @many

1 Like

Kwin :slight_smile:

3 Likes