Which privacy browser?

I use in firefox and librewolf the strict mode and uBlock, with extra additionel filters.

Decentraleyes slows down the browser speed IMHO. I had tried it.

Additionel filters are here: https://filterlists.com/

I had addet filters from Adguard and AdBlock Ultimate.

In brave and vivaldi you can add these extra filters too. It makes reale sense.

1 Like

In uBlock I have all available filters enabled anyway and have for years.

Short answer is NO, at least not out of the box, it’s only marginally better than Chrome, Also, Mozilla gets most of its revenue from Google, and recently Mozilla cozied up with Meta, formerly as Facebook, or maybe Meta cozied up the Mozilla. I will leave others to suggest all the other secure browsers, but I want to focus on Firefox. While you are at it, take a look at Firefox 100 which dropped last week. Here is a interesting take from Tech Republic.

There is a lot you can do to harden Firefox under the hood. Sun Knudsen is a privacy researcher in Canada and done extensive work on security but also teaches how to harden Firefox.

Firefox 100 is not exactly brimming with groundbreaking new features, but it’s certainly a lot snappier and now I can find the vertical scroll bar in my failing eyesight. The security settings will work on any build of Firefox from say 98+ I am sure there are plenty of advocates of Brave, Vivaldi, and Firefox forks like Librewolf, etc, etc, but as a foundation once I stripped out Firefox which for an open source project, has tracking enabled by default,

I have been using Firefox on and off since the hangover days of Netscape Navigator. Of course that was a clunky slow experience, but so was the rest of the Internet with 14.4k modems, so the browser speed was not your main concern.

The reason I have used Firefox all this time is because I can bifurcate web browsing traffic for the day-to-day web surfing. I usually browse and use forums in Vivaldi, but as I said I am not a big fan of all that bloat, so it’s now more like an operating system than a browser. Vivaldi has taken to an almost daily rolling release-like model, but they keep adding new features no one is asking for or interested in using, on almost a daily basis, and its just getting bigger and slower with each update.

When it comes to server work, well that’s different: I am constantly connected to multiple servers during the day and I just need a browser to run fast and stay out of my way while giving me full connectivity. So each server connection has it’s own sandboxed account. I use a Mozilla addon called Multi Account Containers. Firefox does that part well, once the security and privacy settings are tweaked a bit more. Then you can add a piece of javascript to stop tracking in Firefox https://github.com/arkenfox

What do you think? Agree, disagree, have a better way.
Over to you…

1 Like

What about LibreWolf?

First of all, you seem to be going back and forth talking about privacy and security. Those are very different things.

If you are talking about security, I am not sure that there is a tremendous difference between chrome/chromium and firefox out of the box. In fact, it is arguable that chrome is more secure because of some of the things it does to block malicious sites(at the cost of privacy).

If we are talking about privacy, this has all been discussed at length in the Which privacy browser? topic and it would probably make sense to move this conversation there.

1 Like

I just wonder how many times we need to keep bringing up this issue about browsers and which one is the best, most private, most secure performs the best blah blah! :tired_face:

2 Likes

As many times as who is on top on DW! :wink: :rofl:

2 Likes

Just wanting to stay out of the weeds on the distinction. Sun Knudsen and the Arkenfox project and the extension deals with privacy.

Me either, that’s why I start out with Firefox.

Will do :wink:

I’d rather get back to focus on EOS and work on issues with hardware and the installer making it the best Linux distro ever! Oh…i forgot it already is! :rofl:

2 Likes

If you are referring to privacy, then Firefox is not the most private browser out of the box. However, it has the ability to be the most private browser if you invest the time to configure it.

1 Like

I would be interested in what you think of the Arkenfox project?

I use his user.js. It is a quick and easy way to get many of the settings you need with minimal effort.

2 Likes

I use Firefox with arkenfox’ user.js, uBlock Origin (with a set of blocklists and filters) and noscript with JS only enabled on sites that I absolutely need them to work as intended.

And then I get along with my Online life knowing that nothing is 100% secure nor private.

The recent vulnerability issue of Firefox is a prime example of this.

1 Like

Security and privacy are myths :lock:

That’s what THEY want you to think!
:man_detective: :alien: :dragon_face:

2 Likes

ok, I prepared to invest the time, what else should be done to make Firefox the “most private browser”?

I have also also added extenstions uBlock Origin and Decentraleyes, what else can I do?

I do believe it is better than original Firefox. According to their website as well, they claim this to be more privacy-focussed by default than Firefox.
I am also using this browser for quite sometime. This comes preloaded with Ublock Origin, but then I selected few other filters from UbO settings to enhance it even more. Also, default search engine is Duckduckgo.

I will be very blunt, no Firefox fork has ever consistently over the long term rolled out security updates, that and the smaller the team the higher the likelihood of mistakes

4 Likes

Yes, also we can easily convert the original Firefox to its forks by adding few extensions in it.

Also duckduckgo is now on my don’t trust list. Enough has been said elsewhere about it. Soon to be running my own searx instance.

1 Like