Which privacy browser?

You should read the detailed results :slight_smile:

Sadly, this Test is totaly useless, because its only depends on how many people this test have made with the same browser.

The results differs because of that, that brave use chrome as base and librewolf firefox. Dont know the marketshare today, but i would guess 80% chrome 10% firefox and 10 % the others. And from the 10% wich uses Firefox, maybe 0.0001% have made this test :slight_smile: → uniquie fingerprint. And as a chrome base user, you go under in the masses.

You could change that, to mimic a chrome fingerprint (exist addons for that)

Edit:

here a presentation what im talking about.

There’s an interesting fork of LibreWolf called FireDragon, if you just want a pre-configured ‘resistant’ browser. The dev is relatively accessible too, if you have a problem… (see Garuda forum)

2 Likes

I have my doubts as regards the accuracy of that test tbh.

0.03% similarity for that particular User Agent? I don’t think so…

You didnt understand that.

It didnt exist a 100% correct test. It only depends how many people had done this test on a specific website wich provide such test.

On your example, you are unique, because on this site, only 0.03% who made the test, have the same Useragent as you.

With other words: This tests are bullcrap and didnt say anything about how unique somebody ist (the test would only work if EVERYBODY who use the internet, would make these tests)

Someone I follow posted this link on Twitter. I didn’t know the site before and I don’t know the people behind this project, so I can’t say how reliable the info here is. But I guess it’s worth a look.

What is PrivacyTests.org?
Most web browsers leak your identity and your browsing history, but some browsers are more leaky than others.
The goal of PrivacyTests.org is to understand in detail: what data is each web browser leaking? Which web browsers offer the best privacy protections?
PrivacyTests.org is an open-source initiative that subjects popular web browsers to a suite of automated tests. These tests are designed to audit web browsers’ privacy properties in an unbiased manner. The results of the tests are made public to help users make an informed choice about which browser to use, and to encourage browser makers to fix leaks of private user data.

How the tests work
To understand and compare the privacy characteristics of popular web browsers, each browser is subjected to the same suite of rigorous automated tests. Each privacy test examines whether the browser protects against a specific kind of data leak.
The results for all browsers and tests are presented in a unified table. If a browser is found to protect users from a given data leak, it receives a green , but if it leaks user data, it receives a red .
These tests will be run on a regular basis, to monitor the privacy improvements of each browser. As browser developers fix a privacy vulnerability, it will be reflected in the latest results.

A new privacy browser in the making:

1 Like

What engine? FOSS?

Instead of forking Chromium or anything else, we’re building our desktop app around the OS-provided rendering engines (like on mobile), allowing us to strip away a lot of the unnecessary cruft and clutter that’s accumulated over the years in major browsers.

:thinking:

2 Likes

But not for Linux :smiley:

Only for macOS and Windows it seems, atleast on the start

1 Like

Seems counter-intuitive.
If users really cared about privacy, they wouldn’t be using Windows in the first place…

1 Like

This is not clear to me either.

Will they have different engines per platform?

Yes seems so. On Windows it will Chromium/edge based and on macOS webkit/safari

OS-provided rendering engine? Such a thing does not exist. I mean, the Linux kernel is bloated, but it’s not that bloated… :frog:

3 Likes

Yes sounds like a load of :ox: :poop: , most likely he means direct, native api for acceleration / rendering etc…Otherwise it sounds weird.

1 Like

If I want to surf the web in real privacy I use badwolf

1 Like

LOL, how is using Edge in Windows private in even the slightest way?

Lets not bother forking / maintaining / writing our own, lets just use the engine built into the core of a heinous OS predominently used as spyware.

FFS.

2 Likes

Well I still wouldn’t draw conclusions as the comment was pretty vague as they said they will use Edge/Chromium so propably it will be Chromium on Windows and WebKit/Safari on macOS.

I just don’t see that they actually have enough resources to even maintain those but good luck to them.

Where did you get that from? I’ve just read the blog post and they just mention “desktop” but no specific OS. Or is this a conclusion from the “OS specific rendering engine” part of the blog post?

Mentioned here: https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/21/22848133/duckduckgo-browser-pc-mac-beta-privacy-default-settings

1 Like

Thx for the link @inffy ! I rarely read the Verge those days.

Anyway, I have the Android app installed for quite some while now. There are things I like and things I don’t like. I like that it feels fast and really smooth (scrolling), I like the Fire button that lets you erase data quickly without having to go into settings first. You can also “fireproof” sites you regularly use so those data won’t be erased.
I also like that it shows you how many trackers have been blocked and it even gives you details about those trackers (see screenshots). And, it seems to use a different way of adblocking because it’s the only browser I found that works with some sites that usually detect adblocking.

What I don’t like is that it’s rather simple and doesn’t offer some features I usually expect. For example, you can’t set a homepage, there’s no quit/exit button and you can’t (re)sort your bookmarks.

1 Like

You then should replace this with bromite and the systemwebview with bromite systemwebview.