Which linux to install to a super slow laptop (low ram, shared graphic card ram, 1TB hdd)

Hii,

My friend 2 years ago, bought a brandnew but cheapest laptop, around 350 to 400GBP. It came with windows10 preinstalled, but sure slow and sluggish.

HP Notebook - 15-da0008na 
https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c06172975

Product number: 4AQ27EA
Product name : HP Notebook - 15-da0008na

Microprocessor
Intel® Celeron® N4000 (1.1 GHz base frequency, up to 2.6 GHz burst frequency, 4 MB cache, 2 cores)

Memory, standard
4 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (1 x 4 GB)

Video graphics
Intel® UHD Graphics 600

Hard drive
1 TB 5400 rpm SATA

Display
39.6 cm (15.6") diagonal HD SVA anti-glare WLED-backlit (1366 x 768)

Wireless connectivity
Realtek RTL8723DE 802.11b/g/n (1x1) and Bluetooth® 4.2 combo

Network interface
Integrated 10/100/1000 GbE LAN

Her intention of the laptop is only to download files from church webdavs server:
video files, mp3 and doc and pictures.
She is a apple and windows user, GUI only.

Any idea Endeavouros os is still a good choice on it ? or any DE ?

Thx

MX Linux Xfce spontaneously comes to mind.

1 Like

I would bet it will run just fine with EndeavourOS if you do not start Browsing the Internet and want to open 10 Tabs while watching youtube in fullscreen…

I would not take GNOME or KDE but xfce4 will run just fine… Gnome and KDE will need tweaking to not use too much rescources

6 Likes

Isn’t that another Distro of linux ? you do not suggest this endeavorous at all ? hmm… i will have to learn another linux system if i am gonna use it… i will have to try it and learn it so that i can setup the whole system that is running without problem for her… it tooks me so much time to try to master even endeavoros os itself, till today i am not totally able to solve all the issue… or no time yet… like LED lighted up with is not true to the status of the hardware and stuff…

Great! Endeavorous with xfce.
I need dolpin Libre office, vlc though
Can you also tell me straight how to partition it the best ? i mean what partition and what mount on what partition… something that is easy for future (whatever upgrade or downgrade…lol), easy for fixing… etc

Xfce uses Thunar for file browser.

I assumed that the user comes from Windows / Mac, so MX might be a good start on a weak computer.

Thunar is suck at webdavs -utility package… i tried that before on manjaro. horrible sluggish.

antiX with Fluxbox.

2 Likes

Yes, Mx seems to be windows type of gui, but how about installation ? i am the one need to spend time installing for her.

or KDE himself …

Just choose auto partitioning. Done.

1 Like

Thx.
That’s something totally new to me… Just did a quick browse… need to look into it… if something that i need to spend weeks to learn how to install and setup everything… forget it. lol

It is a fixed realease, so “quieter”, than rolling release. Installation is just as simple. Meanwhile also with KDE Plasma. The difference to Xfce is not that big anymore.

I doubt KDE will work swiftly… she is an impatient person much like me… not no mood to learn new trick. no time.
I mean KDE needs quite a lot of juice to run smoothly.

try pcmanfm better than thunar ( my opinion )

Edit… Ranger even better :wink: :rofl:

2 Likes

If you want to use several important KDE tools, you are better off with KDE itself.

Any wm- either i3 or open box are the lightest.

Lxde if you want the lightest de

1 Like

I fail to see the logic in comparing something that one did before on something else. If not tried one does not know. Basing results on a previous failure doesn’t pass the test.

3 Likes

at least less, than GNOME, to Xfce it closes on