Which DE for zoom screenshare (poll)

I know I know… People don’t like polls. However, I need some help and perhaps other people too.

I have to use zoom at work, more specifically screen sharing needs to work flawlessly. Using the app via web browser is not an option, it’s not reliable and missing features.

On gnome I get screen flickering when screen sharing. I recall having the same issue in KDE about a year ago. No problem on a wm like i3 or spectrwm. Hence my poll question to help me decide my next DE at work:

What DE do you use that causes zero screen sharing problems on zoom?

• Gnome
  • KDE
  • Cinnamon
  • Xfce
  • Mate
  • None of the above, but use it on wm

0 voters

No DE, and certainly no Zoom…jeez :clown_face:

Do you have a Xorg / Wayland preference?

At least I can use Linux at work :grin: I despise zoom too but there is no way around it, unless I can switch everyone else to an open source alternative. Not going to happen. :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

Right now I use Wayland on gnome, to me it doesn’t matter, whatever works! I tried zoom screenshare on xorg session btw.

I’ve said it before and i’ll say it again - it will happen if you really want to, unless you’re slave, and not having a job…

1 Like

I am already converting my crew to Linux, but other peps are windows and Mac users. No way, they don’t care and use what is given to them sadly.

And I don’t have the energy trying to convert the whole world to jitsy at work. That’s just not realistic (unfortunately)

You should be able to log in both from web and application from the same time. Use web for screenshare and client for anything else.

1 Like

Web thing never worked for me. I am juggling between zoom links, setting up calendar invites, etc. app much more convenient as long as sharing works.

If need be I will use xfce, screen sharing worked. But would prefer something between kde or cinnamon. Would be good to know before I reinstall my system.

If you are about to reinstall, you can go dirty and install KDE alongside GNOME for testing. Test other DEs with a fresh user, otherwise settings of your current user may cause conflicts.

1 Like

I thought Gnome was the greatest. :smirk:

2 Likes

That say you… :grin: I generally switch/try every 6-9 months to spice things up.

I think both Gnome and KDE are great. I confess.

You’re just doing it wrong.

It’s the other way around, it’s insane to convert the whole world or something like that…

Only one you will have to convert is yourself and only once, then never compromise it for anything including money or job “x”, and then state your decision to CEO of whatever you’re working with. If he’s fine with it, coz you’re professional and hears you clearly stating that you have no problem finding the next hire on your own terms - cool, if not - go find someone more sane to work with otherwise it won’t end well anyway.

But i know, that’s just me…most people will just follow the “social norm” without stating such things upfront right at the job interview, taking matters and your fate in your own hands, turning tables of principles vs using whatever means of trying to manipulate you.

1 Like

That’s your point of view. However, I have other things more important in my life than using open source software or confront people about it. I like to put my energy into other things. That’s ok. I respect your view.

Edit: although I have to say I advocate a lot for open source software, I teach, and inform people about it when I can. I generally don’t use any closed source software except zoom.

2 Likes

Impossible, i don’t believe you! :rofl:

honka_memes-128px-39

Zoom is 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊𝖑𝖞 𝖕𝖗𝖔𝖕𝖗𝖎𝖊𝖙𝖆𝖗𝖞. Using it is even more cringe than using GNOME.You may as well use it on windoze.

I refuse to vote in this poll, out of protest. :rofl:

2 Likes

honka_animated-128px-1

P.S.

honka_animated-128px-15

3 Likes

I’ve only used xfce and had no issues with it. Some of my uni courses did use zoom. I graduated in August though so it’s been a few months since I’ve used it and uninstalled it.

1 Like

You are hilarious :rofl:

1 Like

Finally a sane answer, thank you!

2 Likes