Which DE are you using?

On to KDE Plasma :enos:

1 Like

I have went through about every desktop environment possible before settling on one.

Currently I am running LXQT with Compiz as the window manager, NO Openbox at all, I have made some customizations, I don’t use the LXQT Notifier I use Dunst with my own custom settings, I also don’t use the LXQT Panel, I removed it completely and use Tint2. I like Tint2 because you can have one button perform multiple actions depending on how you use the mouse, Click right/Click left/scroll up/scroll down.

I use Thunderbird for my email and have conky keep me up to date on new mail checks every so many minutes. Way that works for anyone wondering, at least the way I have it setup when conky shows that I have new mail, I wrote a simple script that runs when I click on the taskbar envelope icon and it kills all conkies “I have two running”, then I can read my mail in Thunderbird, once I exit Thunderbird with the script I wrote it reloads the conkies, the reason why I do it this way is because it shows the correct mail count after reading or deleting mail, if I didn’t do it this way it would not update the mail count for however many minutes I have it set to check for mail in the conkyrc. “It keeps it current is what I am trying to say”.

It’s a extremely light setup, my Conkies are pretty simple, Gpu Temp, Time/Date, Emails, Current weather conditions which update every so often.

Anyway, I like it and that’s really all that matters. The multi-option buttons in Tint2 are my favorite for the whole setup. For example : My AttractMode button has 4 functions that I can choose depending on the mouse selection, , Attractmode/Steam/Lutris/Retroarch and I have others that have multiple actions like that.

There is however an issue I ran into using Conky with this setup LXQT & Compiz as the Window Manager, and the issue was with using the system shortcuts, I finally resolved it. Changing settings in Conky did not help no matter what solutions I read about.

Basically when the desktop environment loaded up with Conky you could select a system shortcut like open terminal and it would work one time, after that one time no other shortcuts would work unless you left clicked the mouse on the desktop, after that next shortcut selected would work one time and then you’d have to click on the desktop again.

The fix for me was in Compiz, I had to go into the Compiz settings and “Window Rules” and add to the selection “No Focus” I added “title=system_conky” or you can use the Grab function clicking on conky. After that the shortcuts work as expected with no more problems. Thought I would mention that in case anyone might run into a similar issue.

It’s a really light setup. Anyway like I said I like it and I guess that’s all that matters.

Desktop

5 Likes

Really?! What was the response from KDE? I feel like KDE is a big advertisement for Qt as a success story; maybe they will get an exception!

1 Like

Plasma

2 Likes

i3 with Xfce panels.

i have been using plasma (KDE) for years. everything possible on-board. higly recustomacible. a lot of functional widgets…
i will try openbox on kde basis sometime.

:enos_flag: :enos:

plasma

5 Likes

It’s very interesting to see how I’ve changed over to last few years.

I’m really boring these days. I run gnome on one laptop and kde on the other. Nothing really ever changes anymore. I like them both which is funny because a couple years ago I hated it and was happiest on cinnamon and xfce+i3 and I don’t use either anymore hahaha.

1 Like

My top 3

1. KDE Plasma
  2. Xfce
  3. Cinnamon

GNOME is also good but I don’t like the idea that my workflow is depend on 3rd party extensions which might broke when airplane hits the developer or when GNOME gets major upgrade :laughing:

2 Likes

xfce+i3 but 99% of the time I’m on i3 because I just need it to take little resources and get out of my way while I’m running my applications. Xfce might work on my desktop because there is more screen real estate but on my laptop at 1080p I find myself settled on i3.

2 Likes

Over the years I have used Gnome, Cinnamon and Plasma. I am currently using Plasma but like to look at others from time to time

2 Likes

I do, on my main pc and also on my laptop. I do test some other DE/WM on another partition on my main PC. But i3wm just do the job, is quick and uses less resources. Also you can customized it too :wink:

2 Likes

Sway and KDE Plasma

1 Like

I always prefer Xfce, as I’m only running old computers. No gaming, video-editing, or 3d-rendering, no compiling (except for yay or installing), etc.

Only using computers for the fun of it. Thank God, my pro-times belong to the past. :wink:

3 Likes

Gnome for the last 6 months, running flawlessly. :+1:t3:

2 Likes

Meanwhile about since 2003 i have been using xfce4-desktop.
Very briefly Cinnamon desktop, but was too limited for me.
Around 2017 i3wm became part of it.

Actually in the meantime I prefer to work with I3 [EOS/Craft/Arco]. Though with xfce4 panel, because I have a few genmon scripts I can use then. Not the most ideal panel for i3wm, maybe, but it works for me (xfce4-i3workspaces is buggy, can’t refresh the i3 conf in session). I can live with that.

Kde has always been too heavy for my hardware, and it doesn’t appeal to me that much.
Finally, I have a soft spot for Openbox.
There are a few distros like Bunsenlabs (Cruchbang before that), which I enjoyed running on an old 32bit laptop in the past and dug in a bit.
I think these three DE/WM are the most prominent ones for me.

2 Likes

From 4/2020

9/2022

I only run GNOME. I’m about 2-3 years away from using snaps and Ubuntu apparently.

5 to Windows.

7 to ChromeOS

10 to Government Issued OS

:rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :sweat_smile: :rofl: :upside_down_face: :neutral_face: :confused: :confounded:

I hope the world ends sooner than later.

5 Likes

I have been all over the place with DEs currently I am using Cinnamon

1 Like

IceWM, Openbox, Enlightenment, and Mate

2 Likes

I was in weird spot for a month. I was in KDE neon on my work computer but ended up installing i3wm and loading eos theming, and booting into that session instead of kde.

That totally defeats the purpose of that distro :rofl:

I am tempted to install eos gnome plus i3wm in separate sessions. Always drifting between xfce, KDE and gnome.

Wm wise I always try qtile, awesome, dwm but drift back to i3 which I know best.

1 Like

Gnome, Cinnamon…

1 Like