Whats your favorite text editor?

Actually, nano can be configured to have those shortcuts - and in fact does far more than I ever suspected (syntax highlighting, wordwrap, autoindent etc). I never noticed for years, because I only used it for quick config file edits (fstab perhaps) when nothing else was easily available (installing the Arch Way maybe)…

A flip through man nanorc will tell you more, if interested…

4 Likes

I’ll admit, the first time I used Vim, I couldn’t figure out how to save/quit. Classic. But I stuck it out, and use it for quick edits.
For larger projects, I use Visual Studio Code.

I have tried Emacs, looks interesting ( “It slices, it dices…” ), so maybe I’ll try to learn it too.

Those other editors mentioned I haven’t heard of, so I’ll have a look at them as well; thanx

1 Like

I didn’t mention either vi or vim; they’re both effective and efficient but a beginning user may struggle with them.

Similarly emacs in console mode can be a challenge, but the GUI version allows you to use it like a textpad editor.

I think you should have enough choices; try a few of them and tell us what works best for you,

Without a doubt nano. On KDE i use Kate also. I don’t know vim or vi very well so it’s just easier to use nano.

2 Likes

neovim and geany

Xed for a basic text editor; Geany for something a little more elaborate; Vim/Neovim for a real grown-up text editor. Many people use nano; it’s got a lot to offer if you can work out the keycodes for doing the simplest things!

I will just reiterate man nanorc - make the keycodes whatever you want…

(not that I bother)
1 Like

Another useful feature for a text editor to have is the ability to make time-stamped backups (as opposed to just a single backup). IIRC, Geany has a GUI for that and vim requires editing one’s ~/.vimrc.

I use a laminated piece of paper on a clipboard at work all day and I love the expo vis-a-vis fine wet erase markers. I can take notes as I drive around at work all day long, cross off and wipe away as things get done and I can transfer them at the end/beginning of next day to a notepad. I like the Pilot G.2 pens best. Black preferably.

2 Likes

As a WebDev I relied on VS Code for years. Tons of customizations and extensions. I used it every single day to edit system and config files when on Pop OS.

But since coming to EOS a few weeks ago, I want to part ways with VS Code and fully embrace nvim, which I have done nearly 90% of my time these past two weeks.

Tons more to do though.

I pretty much stick to VScode these days - I don’t HAVE to use vi(m) so I don’t. What I actually miss is CygnusEd… from the Amiga… but I don’t think 680x0 assembly ports easily to Linux…

I also use VS Code as my go-to editor. I’m mainly using it to edit files outside the project I am currently working on in my IDE. At some point I decided to stop using two editors (one for system related tasks and one for development outside the IDE), and stuck with Code for simplicity. It needs two seconds to open and show the last edited file, as opposed to instantly for more lightweight editors, but the feature set more than makes up for that.

If I’m currently in the terminal I open nano and do my stuff there.

For a lightweight solution I recommend medit (former moo edit). It was my leafpad/mousepad/*pad replacement for a long time.

2 Likes

Geany is light and efficient yet it’s a feature rich editor.

Emacs has many capabilities related to time and date, though it’s been a long time since I used them so I don’t remember whether I programmed them or there’s an out of the box capability.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.