What tools do you use to educate people about privacy?

I often get asked why I care about privacy. The prevailing idea is that who cares who has information about what products I buy or which media I consume.

Does anyone have any tools or links they share to explain why privacy matters?

6 Likes

That is a great question in fact. :thinking:
I haven’t seen anything that would satisfy my taste fully just yet, to be the one-stop solution…

3 Likes

This is because the general population does not understand how information can be used against them. From anything to showing compulsive behavior or other undesirable social behavior one would display. Just like people didn’t understand putting pictures on the Internet could turn into a scam with the help of AI art and put you in sexual circumstances with children you never even seen in your life.

I don’t know that there could be a one stop solution. The depth of privacy can be a deep rabbit hole.

4 Likes

Exactly, I was hoping to find some reference material that would help explain that both because someone else has probably already done it better than I can and because I don’t particularly want to. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I have nothing specific to suggest, just a few ideas:

Preface:

I have had conversations about privacy (among other things) and this is what I’d generally say.

Privacy doesn’t (exactly, generally) matter (sadly).
Privacy matters TO me/you/someone to a variable extent.

I’d say it’s a value, similar to any other.
For example, ethics are a value that we can argue should interest everyone, but in reality different people care more or less about it.

My perception is in general that people who value things that benefit all, generally don’t need much convincing to support ideas that benefit most.
On the other hand, people who aren’t too into the general benefit, need to be convinced that X or Y thing benefits THEM, enough. Or how lack-of disadvantages them.

To the suggestions:

When it comes to privacy specifically

• Things as simple as how cookie tracking can affect X or Y online shop’s prices to f* you over, can work.
  • Actually showcasing how much someone is exposing information about themselves (there was a prankster on YouTube I remember doing something like that a decade ago, example video , I believe he had a whole series)
  • On the more serious side, find and showcase court cases with disgustingly bad circumstantial evidence that lead to convictions, and argue how someone’s information being collected COULD be actually used against them in a (corrupt) court of law.
4 Likes

well start by asking the person in question this:

Can i have your creditcard info and pincode?
Can i watch you taken a dump with the door open?
Can i get your bank account number and pincode?
Can i get your email account name and password?

They will most certainly object to all, then you say: now you know why privacy matters!

How about that video?
I think it’s very normie friendly, Naomi Brockwell did a great job here…
Boot infinitely stamping on your face style.

4 Likes

Rob Braxman and Naomi Brockwell are two pretty decent YouTubers who make videos about privacy, mostly aimed at complete newbies. As with most Tubers, there is plenty to disagree with, but they are doing a surprisingly good job. The problem is, there is no simple, single entry point to which one can direct someone interested in privacy.

There is also the DNM Bible, which contains some excellent tips on good opsec (even for people who are like me, law-abiding citizens who are not interested in buying drugs on the darknet). I wouldn’t recommend it to newbies, because it literally and quite explicitly teaches people how to break laws and thus may be off-putting and may paint you in a bad light. It also gives validity to the idiotic “I have nothing to hide” argument… Just an obligatory disclaimer: Breaking laws is bad, m’kay? Don’t do it!

2 Likes

Probably when dealing with normies most important part is to get them actually legit scared…rightfully so :laughing:

From there you can work something coherent out.

2 Likes

My point was that it can be very overwhelming to even begin to learn about this stuff, to the point that many people just give up, even if they are aware of the dangers.

Such cognitive dissonance is fairly common.

Combine that with the necessary sacrifice to convenience and most people will fail before they even begin.

This illustrates the need for an easy guide, one that contains tiny incremental steps anyone can easily take to increase their privacy online, if only by a small amount. It seems to me that, if there is any hope of convincing normal people to sacrifice convenience for the sake of privacy, it is essential that the learning curve is not steep and that the process is incremental and gradual. And yes, they should be terrified, the danger is very real.

1 Like

Convenience is a soycial construct, maaaaaan! ™

You’re forgetting the classic “think about the childrens” :rofl:

1 Like

I swear, that phrase sounds like a pedo honeypot already… :rofl:

NO I DON’T WANT TO THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!1 :clown_face:

1 Like

Probably because they want them for themself :thinking: :yum:

Its funny how easy it is to make them giving up they’re right of privacy but the opposite is nearly impossible.

I was thinking about that hard actually…for years.
Each time i come to even try to approach it even i myself legit feel like that:

Best i can do is something like my gaming guide probably…which is good, but not good enough for a scared normie.

A bar for such guide should be as high as:
Try to convince ANY woman to permanently delete her Instagram…if you’re successful - your guide is really phenomenally good and it will work.

I’m not that kind of magician just yet…

honka_memes-128px-14

I don’t think its a attainable objective. Even if a small % apply some of the recommendations, its still overall good don’t you think ? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nope…It’s better than nothing, but it’s not good in terms that if you’re not getting to Snownden level of hardcore about your privacy - it won’t work because, you will be identified and targeted by weakest link in your opsec chain…and need i start about all the proprietary OS, ApPs, :clown_face:phones, Windoze, Apple, smart devices…oh God i’m going mad even when just trying to lay down the big picture, let alone explain it to some normie :melting_face:

When i start to talk about Microsoft Pluton even most of people around here roll their eyes…because it feels like all battles for the future are already lost…i still don’t think so, i haven’t became :clown_face: for nothing!

1 Like

You’re setting the bar WAYYYYYY to high!

Personally, I can’t even convince technically literate people to not install games with kernel-level anti-cheat (which is absolutely insane that it even exists btw).

Some people just… don’t care…
Like… at all!!!

1 Like

Oh God…that Denuvo crap :man_facepalming:

If only that was just a drm problem.

What worse, peoples actively ask developers to add that to games… First they don’t see any problem with literal rootkit running on they’re computer.

2ndo, Riot and others offenders, feed them a narrative that its the only option they have or that this is effective when its clearly not the case.

I’ve give up explaining why its bad to people. That why i love this video because i don’t have to write/explain myself :rofl: