What to do for Unbreakable Endeavour OS?

İ have LTS kernel and Timeshift. What else to do make system Unbreakable?

What do you mean by “unbreakable”? You name timeshift in conjunction with unbreakable, but in fact timeshift is helping you to restore a already broken system.

If you are really looking for an unbreakable system you should look into debian or centos. A rolling release distro is not the first choice if stability is your main concern.

With regard to timeshift: This tool helps you to restore your system. But it is not a backup. You want to have a good backup before anything else.

2 Likes

You can’t make the system unbreakable but you can make it less likely to happen.
Regular backups and regular updates are a must plus try and use official apps rather than aur/flatpak/snaps wherever possible

1 Like

TY for fast replies. İ just want system not to brake.

Good luck with that. Doesn’t matter what your OS is. Everything can break. But a rolling release is not your friend here. Run something that doesn’t change very often. For example, Debian!

1 Like

Never change a running system!
This is the first rule to obey if you do not want your system to break. That pretty much rules out any OS which is a rolling release.

2 Likes

Welcome to EnOS forum @UnbalancedSkunk !

1 Like

Don’t update. Ever. Of course you may have a hardware failure, which is also technically a system break, so maybe don’t turn your computer on either.

EndeavourOS is Arch with a graphical installer. Arch is bleeding edge, and thus it will break from time to time. This is unavoidable, though most issues are minor, and a trade off for using the most recent upstream kernel(s) and software.

You need to decide if this trade off is reasonable for you. If not maybe consider Debian.

If you want your EndOS system to be psuedo unbreakable then learn how it works, then when you have issues you’ll be able to fix it. It will never be broken for long. The Arch Wiki and this forum can help you with that.

Welcome.

We all do…

It is wrong to think that Arch (or EndeavourOS) just breaks on its own due to updates. It doesn’t. Most causes of system breaking are user errors.1 Everything else is exceptionally rare.

You can’t fix stupid,1 you just have to learn to live with it.1 :rofl:

Always have good backups. Here is how I do it: Snapshot for recovery - #9 by Kresimir

1 Speaking from experience…

9 Likes

No PC OS is unbreakable. Not Linux, not the BSDs, not Windows, not MacOS or anything else.

That being said, as others have pointed out, the more a system changes, the greater chance for breakage is. Since Arch/EOS is rolling, there is a high rate of change.

If stability is more important to you than having the latest software, run Debian or RedHat/Oracle Linux.

It depends how you defining breakage. If we are talking about the system being totally unbootable/nonfunctional than I agree with you. However, many people define a working system as all aspects of the system working properly. By the latter definition, any Arch-based system will always seem some degree of breakage as we get software earlier than most of the Linux world.

On my system, something is broken several times a year. Typically, it is an annoyance more than anything else but sometimes it is something I need and I have to work around it somehow. For me, the trade-off is worth it since I enjoy having the latest software and I have the skills and experience to work around issues fairly quickly. Not everyone feels the same though.

2 Likes

It does.

5.10 update broke lots of stuff. F2FS file systems corrupted for example, which is pretty broken.

Nvidia drivers can break systems after kernel updates, 3.90 had to be patched by loqs then AUR re-packaged by jonathon, for example.

The kernel is so damn fricken big these days that more and more regressions are slipping through the crakcs, particularly in big kernel updates like 5.10.

New kernels usually hit Arch first, so we are the first to experience and report these regressions upstream for fixing.

People need to be constantly aware of what’s coming down the pipe.

For example, 5.11 has just been released upstream, which will mean that 5.10 will now become the LTS kernel, replacing 5.4.

Anyone relying of 5.4 to workaround 5.10 issues will have to manually install 5.4 from the AUR, which could involve having to build it, or from @jonathon’s repo as a binary.

1 Like

Really? That’s pretty bad as ever since 5.10 came along I am experiencing complete system freezes at least once a day. Switched to LTS a few weeks ago…

I strongly disagree with this statement.

We all saw KDE plasma updates breaking things, gnome updates breaking things, autconf update breaking dkms, binutils update breaking virtualbox module build etc. Even kernel upgrades break things every once in a while. This is not “exceptionally rare” and has nothing to do with user errors.

1 Like

I have only personal experience to go by, but I’ve been using KDE Plasma for 5 years, the last 3 of which is on an Arch-based distro. I have yet to experience it breaking. Sure, there are minor bugs from time to time, but nothing major (and most of these I don’t even notice, but I see them in the bug tracker and I see if I can reproduce them).

I’ve heard of GNOME breaking, but that’s definitely1 the user’s error who should know better and use a DE which is not as broken :rofl: (maybe try Deepin… :rofl:)

But seriously, on Arch, not once was I ever left with a system that won’t boot after an update, or is in any way unusable. I use an LTS kernel most of the time, so I rarely have issues with that. The only thing I have an issue with is on this one PC with an ancient Nvidya card which requires drivers from the AUR, and those do not get updated right away. But that cannot be classified in good faith as Arch breaking, it’s just the fact I use hardware which is no longer supported. :man_shrugging:t3:

Sure, that’s true. It all depends on what one means by “broken.” Personally, I think it’s unreasonable to call every minor bug “breakage”. To me, something is broken if it cannot be used properly without a lot effort invested into fixing it. Unbootable system would be something that is broken, a black screen, or not having any audio, or data corruption on the drives. Things like that… Having one icon rendered in colour on an otherwise monochrome taskbar is not a broken system.

I would go further and say that even if one application is utterly broken by an update (which, at least for programs that I use, is exceptionally rare), that does not mean that the OS is broken, unless that application is of vital importance. Take LibreWolf, for example, that browser is very experimental and every update breaks something about it. But that’s not a problem with the OS (LibreWolf is not even in the official repos).

One could go even further and say that if you have a working text editor, a shell, and a C compiler, that system is not broken. But that’s maybe a bit too extreme :frog:

1 I jest… I jest… Do not take that seriously, please. GNOME is fine, I guess.

1 Like

First of all, welcome to the forum! :partying_face: :pray:

I switched to EnOS in March 2020, in search of a distro that won’t break when I need it to work. I was having problems with my previous distro.

I know that Arch based is not a good choich for having a system that doesn’t break. But I was curious to try it out and see how the experience goes. I did not follow any backup practices. But I highly recommend you to do so.

Reading posts on the forum I noticed that newer hardware tend to face slightly more problems and heavy desktop environments were another thing that could sometimes give headaches after update. My PC is an old machine and I use a window manager rather than a full blown DE. I’d say my experience has been good so far.

What you need to keep in mind is that constant updates mean changing software and if the devs decide to introduce something new then something might break. Eg. my polybar once broke because the devs decided to change some config syntax. Once i had some audio problems after update. But they weren’t serious problems by any means. So Arch should suit you if you are okay with minor problems once in a blue moon. In comparison, my first distro was Ubuntu which broke miserably after an update.

Arch, even though rolling, is more stable than many distros out there. (my opinion)

3 Likes

Welcome @UnbalancedSkunk :skunk:
Things break from time to time for various reasons but can be more often if one is tinkering. :wink:

1 Like

So far EOS Cinnamon has been so stable it’s almost boring. Most of my EOS Forum time is spent in the “pub” because I have no interesting technical issues to complain about. BTW–I’m a habitual updater. Really, Windows 10 feature updates cause me more trouble than Linux updates. Even so I keep all my files archived on an encrypted external drive that I leave at work. I’ve never once had to use it to recover.

2 Likes

What to do for Unbreakable Endeavour OS?

I guess if you just run it in Live mode.

:wink:

1 Like
  • add another kernel see AKM ( linux & linux-lts )
  • do backup !
  • i repeat DO BACKUP!
2 Likes