What is your "primary use" of this brilliant OS?

I started with a 2010 iMac which I distro hopped on for a while (Ubuntu for like a week, elementary, zorin, Manjaro, Fedora, then endeavour), my wife reclaimed the Mac for her WFH setup so I grabbed a NUC and that’s been solely an endeavour machine since day 1.

It’s our media server/ automated downloader, I use it for day to day use, browsing the net while I’m playing on the ps5 etc.

I’m finding it un-nerving how well it’s been going since I installed it in the NUC, it’s been absolutely flawless… granted I’ve restrained myself a bit with the tinkering which probably helps with the whole not blowing up my install for the 20th time :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: also I think the all intel hardware is helping it be so easy, no nvidia/AMD shenanigans.

I’m using boxes to play with different OS’s when I get the itch to play with\ break things.

I’ve even started backing this one up now I have everything running so well.

For work I use a Mac, hanging out for work to give me a new M1 based mac

2 Likes

That’s quite a claim to fame! :slight_smile:
My story is strikingly similar. I never liked hopping on the “bandwagon”. When everyone told me that *buntu was recommended for noobs, I went quite the opposite and tried Great Grand Daddy Debian. Learned of XFCE and WhiskerMenu - rocked that for a while. Then heard of Crunchbang and did that for several years. That died and I went with Crunchbang++ and later Bunsenlabs. I loved Debian + openbox.
Hopped around a bit for several more years, even did a minimal Arch install on my old Thinkpad. But went back to Debian, and then Pop OS for the past 3 years.
Was ready for a change and almost went with ArchLabs :heart: but went with OES because of bspwm - I’ve always liked tiling windows but never used one. I am SSSOOO glad I did!
Totally LOVING this setup :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m on it …

4 Likes

@Orca

Brings back memories of owning a 386 Viglen OEM desktop in my childhood.

3 Likes

I’m a Linux-only Gamer. That this is possible is a decently recent development, at least the way I see it. Proton working its magic inside Steam, wine-staging development, DXVK as a gift from above, VKD3D, all these tools and developments enable linux-only gaming.

I am using Linux for the longest time now. I started experimenting with SuSe first, then Debian back when Potato was on the cusp of being succeeded by Woody. Hardware support was abysmal back then, you bought hardware that fit the drivers available. I worked with Linux for many years and always appreciated its simplicity and consistency on the server. Privately I used Windows for gaming.

Last year, I realised that the time I was spending on Windows to prevent it from spying on me I could use to learn something about Linux, so I switched, Manjaro first because of bleeding-edge hardware, then with a small sidestep directly to EOS.

My new gaming rig has never seen Windows, and I am happy that with some workarounds, googling and learning I am able to play almost anything. And what I am not able to play is usually stuff I couldn’t play anyway (competitive online shooters and the likes).

2 Likes

[quote=“QAP, post:24, topic:19928”]
childhood
[/quote] :rofl:

LOL, we got our first PC in 93, a used IBM 386/16 and I was 26 or so and needed a computer to type my thesis for uni. My prof didn’t like computers at all but I thought fuk it, my old typewriter doesn’t cut it no more.

1 Like

That’s me on Linux since 2009. :enos: is my main OS and I’m only doing basic stuff like internet, email, music, e-books and videos. No gaming - I went console only in the 2000s.

My laptop is a 3rd generation Intel (Ivy Bridge) and :enos: runs sweet like chocolate:

2 Likes

I’m building a new PC with a focus on mid-range gaming, web browsing, and media consumption (since that’s about all I use my computers for these days). I’m looking at EndeavourOS to put on it because it sounds like the best option for someone lazy like me who wants to use an Arch-based system without a lot of hassle.

Normally, I’d just Debian, which I already use on all my computers. But I figure something Arch-based would work better for gaming. Debian runs Steam games fine, but having more up-to-date drivers could prove beneficial.

3 Likes

Sound blaster CD drivers on floppy. Nice!

I completely forgot about the fact that you had to separately cable the old CD drives for data and audio. I think I still have a bunch of those CD cables in a box around here somewhere.

A couple of years ago I fired up WFW 3.11 in a VM just for fun and I realized something. It was terrible. Like, really, really terrible.

4 Likes

Just an average linux user. I read and write my e-mail, surf on the web, see videos (YT, Netflix et al), have fun to discover new things, etc. I do not use Windows since at least 20 years (or more). Been a Debian user for long, do a lot of distrohopping in the pandemic days, and now an Arch user (From Mate to Xfce to etc… Now using DWM). For me it’s all about fun, escaping from Windows and learning new things.

2 Likes

I don’t even know what those drivers were good for. It was long before we got a PC with CD drive. Until then, and I guess even after, we didn’t even had speakers connected to the computer, just a little thing for the beep boob peep sounds.

My first was a 286 Dell system for business and they were expensive back then! 1987

product-115965

Edit: Also had a big wide carriage dot matrix printer.

3 Likes

Quote: "Oh, and I’m probably the only Linux user who didn’t start on Ubuntu proper!¨

Not by a LONG shot. Many people have started in places like Slackware, Debian, Puppy, and yes, plenty did start with Ubuntu or Linux Mint too.

Some people a LONG time ago had glossy eyes over Gentoo Linux; I haven´t seen or heard anything about that in a long time. My guess is that the Arch-based distros effectively swallowed up that space some time ago.

But I think the word is that you really can´t assume anything. A lot of people quietly use all kinds of things without even speaking about them.

Two Debian-based distributions that I am fond of are the antiX Linux (great especially for 5-20 year old systems) and MX Linux, a middle of the road alternative to Linux Mint that works well on 3-10 year old hardware as an every day system.

There are LOTS of others that we hear little about that ¨get the job done" for those who use them. That said, Endeavour OS certainly qualifies as a distribution that works well for a wide class of users, including multi-distro guys like me.

4 Likes

Wise words. For all we know there may be a whole load of Linux users out there who really can’t be bothered with forums and all the other stuff! FWIW when I first downloaded a Linux Distro in 2010 it was Ubuntu but within 30 minutes I deleted it and went to Mint. The lack of codecs completely screwed me at the time because I knew nothing about such things!! Kudos to Mint for providing something so accessible to total newbies :grin:

3 Likes

While we are talking about it, I am all for nice looking, very functional, easy to use and maintain distributions like Linux Mint. I have used it before, more than once. For many people, it may be all they ever need.

On the other hand, I can install similar software on other Debian alternatives, run fewer daemon processes by default, and in short, customize them to suit my specific needs and interests, and at least for MY use cases, such systems can run circles around Linux Mint, in terms of fewer resource requirements and superior responsive behavior.

Understand that I am NOT being critical at all of Linux Mint because it adds solid value to the ecosystem and it is possible to tune and rework Linux Mint too (just look at the LMDE project - Linux Mint Debian Edition - if you have any doubts).

What I am saying with a LOT of words is that one of the many reasons we have so many distributions is that there are a lot of use cases; in some cases people just want a different APPEARANCE, in other cases, people want a different package format, different file system organization, etc.

3 Likes

Well yeah, and that is why I am here using EnOS, an Arch-based distro. And why I stopped using Mint in 2012. I found that other distros and package management solutions worked better for me. For me, at least, Pacman and a rolling release made more sense.

2 Likes

Today I learned I can type :enos: hahaha :enos: :smiley:

2 Likes

Back “On Topic” & “Primary Use”: It’s my main desktop Daily Driver. It helps me keep my life in some kind of order during my otherwise chaotic existence. I do use other DEs on my other machines but now they are all EnOS based after using all sorts of other things. I do however keep a few other things on USB sticks as rescue solutions just in case (hello Puppies!) :grin:

2 Likes

Amgreatly considering getting my old T400 Thinkpad out of the garage and try a different flavor :enos:

Old spare machines are great for trying out things you may not have considered. Give it a go, it’s always good fun to learn! :grin: