What gives a distro longevity?

I’m slowly coming around to the realization that I want to move my Mint 19.1 media server to a rolling distro. That rolling distro being Arch based. That Arch base being Endeavour OS. I wanted to eventually switch my media server to Antergos but fate intervened.

Now, some folks might recoil in fear thinking it’s madness to move a media server (that needs rock solid stability) to a rolling distro. Well… to that I say that when I was cruising along with Mint 19, I received a kernel update that would make my mdadm array go offline when i restarted my box. I fixed it by ignoring that kernel update and rolling back to a previous one and a day later, the issue was resolved. Then, I updated Mint 19 to Mint 19.1 and found out Timeshift died and I need to manually fix it by simply installing an older version of TimeShift. So yes, point releases (even rock solid, Debian based ones) can give you problems.

I’ve been running Manjaro on a spare PC for well over a year and go into pamac and apply system updates every 4-6 months and never killed my system (knock on wood) yet. (I heard you should apply updates on a rolling distro every few days to minimize the chances of killing your system.)

On my main PC, been rocking Antergos for a year+ and recently switched to the 2.1 beta of Endeavour OS and anxiously waiting on the new beta and/or July 15th. Which leads me to my main point… distro longevity.

I want to install/use an OS that will be around for years and years and years to come… because if I run into problems, I always want a support forum, for my distro, that I can run to and post a question or with a big install base, the chances of somebody else having my problem and maybe a solution is greater than if I was using a niche distro. One of the big reasons I went with Mint for my media server is that they’ve been around since 2006 and show no signs of walking away from a project that is pulling in (on average) $10,000/mo in contributions. Heck, in April, they netted almost $25,000.

So with Endeavour OS… how does it go from here to a distro that can still be around in 15 years, netting $10,000-$20,000/mo in contributions and has some major sponsors? I know it took Mint a while to get where they are but how can us end users keep the fire alive and not let Endeavour OS die out like what happened to Antergos?

What’s the secret to success and are the developers able to slug it out until their distro reaches a critical mass and becomes self-sustaining and money keeps pouring in, building and building year over year?

Thank you for this interesting post.

I can’t look into the future of course, but once this distro is up and running, we’re going to expand our team, so that in the future if one of us (the original founders) leave the project, the team can carry on the work. This is completely the opposite of what Antergos did, by keeping the team small and let no outsiders even slightly in.

Also our communication to bloggers and vloggers is very open and we’re willing to work with them to keep the name alive. At this moment I’m the only the who writes the posts, but I’m planning to let other authors in as well, also to keep the activity around EOS alive.

Now I’m only talking for myself, but I think Joe and Fernando are also on the same page, I’ve put a lot of effort in this project and I’m determined to keep it alive and kicking and I think that that energy and attitude is the sturdy base, plus the fact we’re going to expand the team, for longevity.

3 Likes

This is the very question I was going to ask when I logged into the forum this morning. I very much appreciate the question and the answer.

I was very disappointed when the founders of Antergos decided to pull the plug; it’s as if they said, “It’s my ball and I’m going home!”

A large team is necessary to ensure that a distribution/program/even a company(!) continues on after the founders leave (for whatever reason) and I am gratified that Endeavour OS is taking this idea seriously.

I’m truly looking forward to Monay the 15th when I’ll download and try it.

Thanks to all the people working on the project.

Lawrence

1 Like

I’m also waiting for the premiere the 15th.
As probably many then, I was also disappointed with what happened to Antergos, but it should be honestly admitted that its creators said goodbye with dignity and even with class.

2 Likes

Unlike Manjaro, there were no problems with Mint (Cinnamon) and is still sitting on my other machine, less used already, for over 5 years; after separation from GNOME. Although sometimes it’s hard to believe, even on the best-prepared distribution (and with good resources) you can one day see the status: inactive (that I would mention, for example, Mandriva).
Let this situation not happen with Endeavour, but Bryan is a tough player and together with the crew know how to draw conclusions.

1 Like

Thank you for the compliment :blush: