What email provider do you use?

Out of curiosity, have you set up your own email server on your own public computer to connect to WAN?

1 Like

No, because I have a dynamic ip. I rent a vps, install the Linux distribution of my choice on it and then I install and setup my own mailserver configuration on that vps.

1 Like

This VPS computer is controlled by any admin or random workers, but I haven’t found an open-source email server that supports native E2EE. That is why this does not guarantee 100% privacy. :wink:

2 Likes

Let rephrase and define what I meant with vps. It’s a rented physical system with a whitelist firewall, with on top of that running virtualization software which is self installed and configured where I run my vps on with several other people I know and trust. So even though the hosting provider owns the hardware, they can’t directly control my vps unless they really took their time to do so which would require for them to reboot my vps which I would notice.

Either way is still way better than what most other people have my using one of the well known mailproviders(Googe, Outlook, etc) and self-hosted is still better than Proton. Nice try trying to make my self-hosted setup look worthless :wink:, it was a hobby project to learn how e-mail works and I still use it to this day been doing that for 10 years now. Just like how Linux is a hobby :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m currently using Gmail, but I’m thinking of going to ProtonMail a third time.

Does hosting your own email mean you need to build up reputation? I never hosted myself, but I always wondered.

If you get an ip from a sub-net that has a bad reputation or is on a blacklist you can run into trouble, but I’ve only had that happen twice. Then the solution is to contact the blacklist and tell that you are the new owner of that ip and to please remove you or to get a new ip. Also now days you also have SPF, DKIM and DMARC which makes it easier and harder because most modern servers check for all of those. SPF is dns checking if a specific ip is allowed to send for a domain, DKIM is adding a signature to mails which can then be verified by a public key in a dns record and DMARC checks the alignment of SPF and DKIM.
https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/email-security/dmarc-dkim-spf

1 Like

since im norwegian i use runbox. its served me well for a few years and the micro plan suits me well and is cheap. its pretty reliable apart from when it was ddosed a year or two ago

My scheme isn t very complicated. Probably not very secure either, but email isn t a very big part of my life. I ve used zoho mail, and yahoo mail. It hasn t changed much over the years. I ve used Guerrilla mail a few times for anonymity, but I don t make a habit of worrying about anyone knowing who I am, or what I m saying. I like to think I m hiding in plain sight :sunglasses: . Whether I really am or not though is actually inconsequential. Five eyes have been around since the cold war. I can t imagine what that monster has turned into since then, or how many other human intelligence apparatuses there are; whether govt, or otherwise. Let come what may…

Since I saw it mentioned in here, just want to say that Tutanota deletes your account for inactivity after a few months. Mine wasn’t using much space, didn’t get any warning email. It was just deleted with no chance of any kind of recovery.

1 Like

Six months is not a few months. And you get the warning when you sign up. It’s to prevent and/or clean up spam accounts, so that people who actually want to use their service have access as much as possible.

They aren’t a giant company with many servers at their disposal.

2 Likes

I use Protomail for my personal accounts and Gmail for my forum accounts, must say that I have not received any junk mail in my Gmail account for about 9 months now. They are doing something right.

You usually get junk mail from using your email on different websites, not just by signing up to the email provider itself. So, if you sign up to sites that don’t spam you, then you get no spam.

At least, this is from my experience.

1 Like