What does this "FAILED" message mean?

That game looks cool. :wink:

1 Like

I removed the /etc/sysctl.d/vfs-cache-pressure.conf file and the FAILED message has gone. Thanks. That must have been it. YA in hindsight messing around with the vfs cache pressure didnt help my blank screen problem while gaming anyway

1 Like

Is this game on Linux?

1 Like

For me…Probably best game since Dead Space days…
So side question, how can I prevent the blank screen while playing? Any other drivers I need add? How to make sure I have "proper lib 32 " files?

edit: I checked and I all the lib 32 files installed already

Is it a linux game? I only see Windows?

1 Like

its a Windows or PS5 game…but Steam can play on linux using Proton 7. It plays very well 80% of time but I get occasional blank screen…still has audio but screen blank…sometimes for hours its ok…its a great game. very addictive…

Okay …so are you playing it on Proton?

1 Like

yes Proton 7…anyway to improve the blank screen occurances?

It say’s it runs without issues out of the box. So i don’t know why you are getting screen blanking. Are you running strictly amdgpu?

1 Like

yes…i think so. My laptop just Ryzen 7 5700U with 16Gb…I thought that might be sufficient …or not?

does changing priority of Steam in system monitor to “Very High” help?

@s88

I know it’s too late now but I am curious about what you had put in that file?
Perhaps incorrect syntax?

The correct syntax would be:

vm.vfs_cache_pressure = XX

replacing XX with the desired percentage.

Also, for the running session, you could experiment with:

sudo sysctl -w vm.vfs_cache_pressure=XX

to see if you will have any performance gain.

Note the somewhat different syntax: the presence and the absence of space

1 Like

I deleted the file already…but for cat /etc/sysctl.d/vfs-cache-pressure.conf the value I recall was

in hinsight maybe I should have put

vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 50

I tried that already before but it was not permanent, I was trying to make the change permanent. I think thats when I came across the Garuda doc method… and began getting a FAILED message in boot?.
The only reason I tried changing vfs cache pressure was because I kept getting blank screen while playing a game.

Not sure what else I can do to boost playing the game Stray on Steam

Yes. This is the correct syntax.

This applies only to the current session. It won’t resist a reboot.

1 Like

how to makle vfs_cache_pressure permanent? and will setting to “50” improve gaming performance and or blank screen?

You could also try some of the other drivers such as vulkan-radeon or amdvlk with 32 bit lib files.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/AMDGPU#Selecting_the_right_driver

1 Like

Honestly, I wouldn’t know if decreasing the vfs_cache_pressure would solve the blank screen issue.

However it should have some, perhaps non perceptible, impcat on the performance since you decrease the tendency for the kernel to reclaim the memory used for VFS cache.

You could recreate the file you just deleted and this time use the correct syntax:

1 Like

looks like alot of work :sweat_smile:but tks I will def look into it …

I will try test this again later.

1 Like

It’s not a lot of work. You install a few packages.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/AMDGPU#Selecting_the_right_driver

vulkan-radeon
lib32-vulkan-radeon

amdvlk
lib32-amdvlk

lib32-mesa

libva-mesa-driver
lib32-libva-mesa-driver

mesa-vdpau
lib32-mesa-vdpau

1 Like