What do you guys miss most about your Previous Distro

Global menu - you mean like Unity (or Amiga) has/had? If you did, then I find it less useful with hi dpi (vertical resolution in particular) screens…

I came from Manjaro. The only thing i miss is Manjaro Hello, where it shown me some recommended apps and the respective category. Still, KDE on EOS is faster than the one on Manjaro, idk why

1 Like

What is missing from the EndeavourOS welcome application? Let us know and maybe it is something that can be added. There is already a tab with this functionality :+1:

It is simply because of philosophical differences of the two distributions. EndeavourOS is much much closer to Arch. Manjaro adds much on top of the basic arch install in the interests of staying GUI-centric versus EndeavourOS’s Terminal-centric philosophy.

1 Like

It would be nice if there was an app suggestion category, kinda similar to Manjaro Hello’s approach. I do appreciate that it shows up libreoffice, kernel manager, gufw and chromium, but recommending more apps would help A LOT of people who want to try out this distro. If this feature was added, oh boy it would save a lot of time!

I can see the appeal of a fully functioning welcome card with recommended app feature for noob friendly distros. But I’m pretty sure EndeavourOS is marketed as a noob friendly distro, rather a more intermediate one.

I’m surprised there isn’t a unofficial repo which builds those…

If there’s a demand I could do that myself - building from an already-prepared AUR package is not a lot of work, and I have a repo server set up already.

Edit: looking down the list there doesn’t seem to be one there which has old LTS kernels… :thinking:

Edit 2: Unofficial repo for older LTS kernels

6 Likes

Since I use several distros regularly and many distros occasionally, the concept of a previous distro doesn’t really apply. However, here are some things I like that other distros have that are more challenging in Arch.

• The ability to safely install software without updating first
  • Safe automated unattended updates
  • Declarative configuration(nixos)
  • Greater application stability

Of course, all things have trade-offs and I am using Arch for a reason. :wink:

It would be cool it a single distro could be the best of all worlds but that isn’t really realistic.

4 Likes

I thought this already was? :enos_flag:

1 Like

I miss the bragging rights that came with being a gentoo user.

Other than that nothing.

I consider myself extremely lucky that I stumbled upon Endeavour.

4 Likes

So…You have longer beard than us then :laughing:

4 Likes

Whatever I missed from Manjaro I added to my install script, so I basically don’t miss a thing!

What do you expect to happen when you’re waiting for stuff to compile.

8 Likes

If I may be so bold, my previous ‘distro’, although they don’t call themselves that, was Anarchy, and the only thing I miss about that is regarding the install process, specifically, the ability to select rather than unselect (I have to uncheck 85 things from the ‘base install + other packages’ section, eek, and a few others from the Mate and Printer sections), and to have a little description by each possible selection (took me a long time to look them all up). I’ll squeak in a little request for the graphics drivers to have their own section too.

1 Like

I so loved Anarchy for a little while when it properly worked…

1 Like

Can’t you just uncheck those sections in their entirety and then select the individual packages you want instead of doing the opposite?

2 Likes

Yes, I realise that, but it took a long time to seek out what each one was, so having a small note next to each thing could help a lot.

And, a further reason, which I should have added into my post, is that I think some new people don’t check inside that folder, so e.g. end up with graphics drivers that conflict, and have issues when first booting … happened to me on first trying to install Endeavour on this main AMD/Radeon PC. Same with most people needing to not install r8168, which then auto-activates r8169.

And there’s a mixture of stuff in there that may not be part of a basic desktop install e.g. linux-atm, a variety of cisco drivers etc, and some proprietary things e.g. fonts, different licenses. List is bigger, but just picking out one or two examples.

A graphics drivers folder, proprietary/non-GPL/custom-licenses folder, other stuff (e.g. specific cisco and non-r8168/9 wireless drivers), and a note next to each item saying what it is, would be on my wish-list, if and when that may be possible.

System runs even faster and lighter without the extra packages I unchecked, and the font(s) remaining are actually clearer and sharper, to my eyes, which was a nice surprise, lol.

5 Likes

AUR is too good to really miss anything, and the community here is good so cant say i honestly miss much.

Manjaro was kinda weird and stuff didnt work for no apparent reason in some cases not to mention im not a fan of the direction theyre going. Ubuntu made getting certain packages a bit of a pain because you either need a million PPAs or to build it yourself which i dont want to have to do all the time but it was very stable and building kernels was obnoxiously easy once you read the documentation on how (PKGBUILDs are also very easy though)

I would say that I think the install for EOS takes a really long time if you do it online, usually have to slot out 30-45min for the wait if im doing testing on a bug between distros (not enough room to have them all installed)

Yes, it’s been broken for a while now, and, when I asked, the answer was to report each time what doesn’t install, as it’s about things not being able to be found during install. Also, to not use the ‘install extras’ part.

I miss absolutely nothing about any of the previous distros or other OSs I used. It was a huge improvement when I replaced Windoze with Buntu, and when I replaced Buntu with Manjaro, and it was just as huge of an improvement when I replaced Manjaro with EndeavourOS.

EndeavourOS gives me everything I want in a Linux distro. And if I weren’t using EndeavourOS, I’d use Arch, which is pretty much the same thing. :man_shrugging:t3:

10 Likes

Nothing - been in pacman’s world for almost a decade now so nothing to miss. I prefer minimalist window managers so sometimes I miss something like krunner but it’s only for a fraction of a second

2 Likes