What do you do with old hardware?

I’ve ended up with a collection of outdated and/or excess hardware. Stuff that’s still good enough to use (too good to just send for recycling?), but I have no need for it. Is it worth the hassle to mess with craigslist, ebay or FB marketplace? I am not looking to make money off of this stuff, but would rather just find a good home for it while I work on downsizing things.

Anyone in the southeastern pennsylvania area looking for a decent machine for a home file server? Phenom X4 955 CPU, ASUS Radeon HD 6950 2GB GPU, , M4A89GTD PRO USB Motherboard, 16 GB memory and 128GB SSD in an Antec 300 case with current version of EndeavourOS

I have a spare ASUS C60M1-i motherboard/CPU combo with 8GB which is a fair low power board that could be useful.

My premier item is a Sager NP8658-S (Built off Clevo P650RG) Intel Skylake Core i7-6700HQ 256GB SSD + 1TB 7200RPM HDD 64GB DDR4 GTX980M 8GB 15.6" Full HD IPS Laptop, again with current version of EndeavourOS on it.

2 Likes

Sadly, in this country, most places won’t even take stuff like that even as donations. The exception being the salvation army which will take almost anything.

If you can find some kind of local enthusiast community, that would be good way.

Other than that, if you put it on freecycle, craigslist, facebook, etc for free someone will grab them up nearly instantly.

1 Like

That’s the downside of the hype of always needing to run better, newer, faster HW…

It is a shame to this Mother Earth, as this is happening, and there seems no way to stop it, except for reducing our own, very personal consumer-drive:

So, look in to buying used, refurbished HW, if a “special need” arises in you, folks!

ivanhoe,
yes, I am guilty for some portion of this. Somehow I’ve ended up with 8 computers in my office at the moment. To be fair the first one belongs to the company I work for, the second one belongs to a client I work for through my company. The third and fourth ones are a daily driver laptop and a daily driver desktop both for my personal use that I use fairly heavily. The fifth, sixth and seventh ones are 8-10 years old and are the ones I am trying to ‘rehome’. Finally the eight one is an ASUS Zenbook Flip which isn’t all that old but it has a few power-system hardware defects that cause random restarts and/or issues with suspend resume - that one probably goes to the recycler so I don’t burden someone else with the headaches.

Sorry @MrToddarama - I think we all are guilty of this nasty development. Just trying to raise an eyebrow, here and there, if possible.

I think this whole issue is a shame for mankind, not exempting myself from it, as I have some old HW in my basement, too, that won’t do no good to anyone, anymore.

:face_vomiting:

1 Like

Umm… and I thought I was doing good with a Dell Precision m6700 with a 3rd-gen i7 an 20GB RAM. I think that your Sager is about equal to my employer-supplied system (which, admittedly, is up for refresh).

Let me know if you need a good home for it. :slight_smile:

@jruschme I am northwest of philly, in the 19422 zip code. If you are willing to come pick it up, you are welcome to have it.

I’d be happy to take the equipment. Will you send to Poland after I pay the postage? :grin:

This would probably cost you more in shipping and VAT than buying new hardware! :rofl:

1 Like

Unfortunately, Tim Cook’s giraffe just steps into it.

2 Likes

Many of the old hardware which you wrote are much more capable than the present hardware which I am using :rofl: .

My PC has 3 GB RAM, and has intel HD graphics. I had bought this system in 2011 if I remember correctly. This is the same PC on which I am using EndeavourOS with KDE.

According to the question, I can say that if I am having these much hardware, then I would have either booted up the system by low resource OS or would have sold them after making them in perfectly usable state, so that they will have higher values. Or in no profit case, I would have donated them.

If system gets too old, then I make some poor calculations for them. First I find out the total price in which the system was bought and all the expenses which I had invested over it. Then I make the total of the no. of days I used the system. Then I find out the cost per day of using the system. If any system stays in the permissible range and is in usable state, then I will continue to use them, if not, then good bye to them !

In that situation, does the cost per day really matter? Ultimately, isn’t the important part if the system still works and still does the things you want it to do?

Said differently, if it doesn’t work or can’t do something you need it to do, does it matter what the cost per day was? On the other hand, if does still work and does everything you need it to do, why replace it once it meets some cost per day threshold?

One of the first things you learn in a business or finance education is to never let past investments influence future decision making. That is called the “Sunk cost fallacy”

5 Likes

Just a thought, what if you create your own cloud? rsync the data in case any disk or system failure.

I have 2 old laptops i5, i7, (10 years old), but using Endeavour makes me really feel I am even better than my kids hp x360 spectre (2 and 3 yrs old laptops but windoze)

I am currently working on making my own coloud storage especially I have lots of external USB HDDs.

I do have a more modern machine that I put together and have set up as my personal cloud. It serves as a backup host for rsync from my other linux machines, and it hosts dedicated timemachine drives for a few macbooks.

The machines I listed in my original post are truly excess (to me), I just don’t have a need for this many machines.

maybe you could try to mail to the nearest public schools or library with the details and also ask them to pass on the info to interested kids or needed persons

1 Like

I tried that a few years ago before covid, and nobody was interested in Computer parts. The only thing any of them was interested in was a complete up and running computer with Windows installed.

I am not going to donate my one and only WIndows license, nor buy Microsoft licenses just so I could assemble my unwanted stuff into 3 working devices. I also didn’t think I should donate computers to organizations or low income people with bogus Windows installations.

I ended up just taking all my unwanted stuff to Best Buy. They accept most computer parts (except monitors) for free. They accepted a wore out ACP UPS. I just had to take the battery out, which I recycled for free at Batteries Plus.

Pudge

1 Like

Thanks for your valuable information. I had never studied about finance in my life so far, though in future I may be subjected to these, hence I will have something in my mind regarding this.

My old hardware goes into my wife’s computer or son’s computer. The rest sits in my closet. Soon more hardware to shuffle around as i have a z690 motherboard waiting for use.

Also, if I am able to keep the system running by investing some amounts, then what will be the benefit of trying to keep it in usable state by regularly costing money ?

On other hand, I use this calculation to defend my old PC from my parents, who are saying me to get a new laptop with higher specifications, but I want to use this PC as this the first system which I had tried in my life, hence I am not in mood to keep it packed up.

The money you spent on the past has no bearing on that. Nor does the modified daily cost of the system. What matters in that case is only “Is the current/future cost I would spend on this system worth it?”.

Look at this way. What if you won a free system in a contest? After 1 day of use, the average daily cost would be 0. Does that mean it is outside the acceptable range and you should get rid of it? No.

Conversely, lets consider the same system 10 years later. The system breaks and needs major repairs. Those repairs cost more than what it take buy a better system at that time. However, spending that money would still put the average daily cost of the system in the acceptable range. Should you spend that money? No.

In the end, the average daily cost from the past only tells you one thing. Did you make a financially sound decision when you made the investment in that past. It should never be used to determine if you should make an investment in the future.

1 Like