What do former Manjaro users like about EOS?

What I like about EOS is that it is pretty much identical to vanilla Arch, apart from having an additional repo with a handful of useful scripts and utilities, and a much nicer live ISO image than Arch. And it has a nice forum.

That means that, unlike Manjaro, the default installation of EOS comes free of much of the bloat and “malware” like snapd. Though, to be fair, it’s pretty easy to debloat Manjaro, and Manjaro also has a nice install, live ISO images, user friendly tools and scripts, and a nice, very active forum.* So in that regard, EOS does not have many objective advantages over Manjaro**.

However, the most attractive thing about EOS over Manjaro, and the reason I use it instead of Manjaro, is that it has no aspirations to be a corporate distro: it is entirely community based. I think that choosing vanilla Arch, or something close to it, like EOS, over Manjaro, is a choice that increases one’s independence in the long run.

*EDIT: Not anymore, it doesn’t. :frowning:
**EDIT 2: This great, friendly forum with a sense of community is a huge advantage over Manjaro. When I wrote the post originally, Manjaro’s forum was still a friendly place worth visiting.

29 Likes