What are your thoughts on the proposed UI changes to Gnome 40?

Soon to be released, Gnome 40 comes with drastic UI changes to the dash and virtual desktops.

A preview made by Baby Wogue can be found here: https://youtu.be/0CX137QKegA

What are your thoughts on the newly designed activities overview?

• I like new Gnome because it looks better
  • I like new Gnome because it is more usable
  • I like old Gnome because it looks better
  • I like old Gnome because it is more usable

0 voters

1 Like

You forgot the choice for NOT liking Gnome because of its effects on others - new or old (new is worse).

IMHO of course :grin:

3 Likes

I assume with “old gnome” you don’t mean Gnome 2? :wink:

3 Likes

On a more serious note I do not find the changes big enough to warrant another fork, like what happened with Mate and Cinnamon.

(I also find it funny that someone who insists on always using dash-to-panel talk about the superiority of the Gnome UI over say Plasma ;). And yes I enjoy his(?) videos).

That said I agree with @freebird54, GTK needs to be forked so it can be removed from the influence of the Gnome team.

1 Like

I mean. We do have QT for that.

I don’t like Gnome for other reasons too. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

What the same reasons i don’t like KDE :japanese_ogre:

1 Like

Arguing that Xfce, Cinnamon and Mate should switch to Qt to avoid the Apple attitude of the Gnome team is less realistic than to fork GTK

True that. Though, I’ve been enjoying gnome so far.

I used to love Gnome 2 before it became Mate, but these days it DOES feel dated (Mate). I did however run Gnome 3 from September to just before Xmas (on Fedora, even) to see if I could learn to like it, and i give them this much: It is by far the most coherent and professional experience outside of non-open source DEs (Both OSX and W10 ARE better, objectively, from a functional point of view than any DE for Linux). BUT I never learned to appricate the workflow, I just can’t make it work for me, nor can I really accept the attitude of several of the developers nor do I support their roadmap for further changes of Gnome nor GTK.

2 Likes

Mate does seem kind of “Old School”, but I kind of like it. I do also like Plasma as well, I like Mate as much as i like Xfce these days. Maybe I switch DE toooo much haha. :rofl:

To be 100% honest here, I… am still disappointed in the various Linux DEs compared to paid alternatives. Gnome, as I said, is the most polished, almost profesional experience but I prefer Xfce over all the others.

Quite frankly it is the least bad DE for Linux IMHO, but I am far from 100% happy with it. But it is only logical that developement with much larger number of developers and money produce a better user experience. Even Gnome has a VERY small dev team compared to Apple, Microsoft or Android / Google.

1 Like

Pantheon or Deepin might suit your needs then. They were very organized the last time I checked.

1 Like

I won’t go near Deepin until they are no longer in beta.

But they are just bad windows clones as is KDE
Gnome set up correctly just works and works its actually more polished than MAC. As mac just keeps adding sticky tape to its poor interface, as for windows its functional in a slow sort of way.
But what would I know i just use all 3 of them horses for courses i’m told.

Straight into a DE war once again?

2 Likes

Exactly. After all, the task bar interface is the most efficient workflow GUI ever created, hence all sensible DEs copy that.

1 Like

Gnome set up correctly? What would be correct for one isn’t correct for someone else imho, i tried to use Gnome for a month did not like it at all but thats me. I like Plasma, Mate, Cinnamon, Xfce, working on getting use to i3 now. But i say use what ever one likes. :+1:t3:

2 Likes

I’ve used i3 in the past its yeh ok to play with but what you are using is not i3 its someones interpretation of what i3 should be in their eyes. I don’t use stock Gnome others don’t use stock KDE XFCE Mate Cinnamon or any WM.
Linux is their for users to make their own to tailor to their needs, That is what i do any DE WM I build from scratch and own it yes Gnome as well If you like Mate for instance you can make Gnome 3 better than Mate, Cinnamon is only a Gnome 3 shell at the end of the day so is Budgie.
Then their is the very underrated XFCE a bit lost at the moment in transition alas not for me.

1 Like

First, to be 100% clear Gnome 3 is a VERY competent and polished product, but it is not for me.
That said, this part is absolutely false, Cinnamon is a proper fork just like Mate, unlike Budgie who actually recommends installing Gnome as a base and then just install Budgie on top, more like Gnome 3 with just about 30 or so extensions installed.

Of course then we have the other issue; if you have to use x number of extensions to “make Gnome work as you need”, you are really not using Gnome, or should find another DE that suits your needs better.IMHO, of course. I would even go as far as saying using Dash to Panel (or Dash to dock shaped like a panel) is in itself a sign you should be using Budgie or Cinnamon and not Gnome, since you virtually have nothing left of Gnome’s intended workflow if you have a window-like panel.