What are your favorite Android apps? (preferably FOSS)

A few favorites worth mentioning:

• All of the Simple applications.

• Joplin

• KDE Connect paired with M Connect.

• Lichess

• NewPipe

• OpenBoard (excellent keyboard replacement with swipe support and different languages)

• SimpleLogin

• Slide (personal favorite reddit client)

• Transdroid (for controlling torrents on different device)

• OpenTracks (excellent sport tracker)

• Bromite (browser). Wish I could replace this, but Firefox is dreadful, and even after chrome removed the function to have tabs appear in the style of the recent menu, this is still the best one for me.

• Bitwarden (password manager)

• Glider (Hacker News client)

I would highly recommend browsing f-droid with the Aurora Droid client, preferably with Aurora services running for a smoother experience (apps will install automatically, like the playstore, rather than requiring manual interaction). Aurora allows adding other repositories than F-Droid, which means you can add something like the IzzyOnDroid repo which builds a lot of open source applications on Github which are otherwise not available on F-Droid.

Something which I have yet to find an open source version of is an app to track sporting events. I would think it wouldn’t be too difficult to fetch results and dates from somewhere, but perhaps at scale this would require a paid API which would explain the lack of open source applications for this purpose.

2 Likes

Those Simple apps are great. It’s a shame there isn’t something similar for Linux. The lack of a decent calendar app has always frustrated me. I know there are plenty but none has ever really hit the spot for me as a cross-DE solution. I always end up using cloud based solutions. Good list though! :grinning:

1 Like

I tried this one initially, but I found that when I left subreddits on my PC they were still present in the Slide app.

I do not use a reddit account, so I cannot comment on this. One of the main reasons I use this application is that I can subscribe to and browse subreddits without an account.

Wish I could agree here.For me, word suggestions are awful and adding words to the dictionary always seems to just work for English but not for German. I still use it 'cause it’s still the best keyboard I could find that doesn’t have network access. But in actual usage there are worlds between this and GBoard or SwiftKey.

I don’t use word prediction or auto correction, so it is possible you’re correct on this point. I know AnySoftKeyboard is quite popular in foss circles, and I believe it has language plugins so perhaps it is worth checking out (I don’t know if it requires an internet connection). What I like about OpenBoard is primarily a) black theme, b) layout and size configuration, c) swipe to delete, and d) layout with Swedish letters (ÄÀö). Last time I checked no other boards in f-droid had those, so I’m quite happy with OpenBoard.

Nice list of app @Feakster! I’ve just got to try them out!

1 Like

I tried Anysoft and wasn’t happy but that was a long time ago. I will give it another chance, maybe it has improved since then. Thx!

Oh, the last time I was a child was at the Amusement Park, which had disappeared in the meantime, the most interesting was the Enchanted Castle, where various ghosts were terrified sitting in a car rolling on the rails in the dark.
The applications are really plentiful, and thanks to the topic you raised in this direction, I’ve now also looked at the repository of FOSS applications.

1 Like

Yes, I remember these. Fun, excitement, HORROR all at the same time. Nice times.

Glad you find the thread useful. I am learning myself a whole bunch and cannot be more grateful to the forum fellows sharing their experience and knowledge.

1 Like

This thread is so “off-distro” but this is the EnOS pub and it’s proving to be a very popular thread indeed! I guess we are all gathered around the virtual bar talking excitedly :laughing:

1 Like

So when Obi-wan Kenobi said “these are not the droids you are looking for” is it possible that the Jedi Master could have been wrong? Or was it a sneaky hint to go Open Force. :grin:

1 Like

Thanks for your input!
Do I need to add new repositories to F-Droid in order to get Musicolet, ColorNote and Cx File Explorer?

Thanks Celty for sharing the apps and other suggestions! However I wonder if you need to have a rooted device in order to take advantage of the aurora services for app installations without manual intervention.

I don’t think those are open source. I grabbed from the Play Store or Amazon on the Kindle.
Cx Explorer does samba file sharing very well with my computer(s). Vinyl is a great FOSS alternative to Musicolet. I like Color Notes Interface and it has sync and backup capability. I also like that I can password protect a note.

1 Like

I’m not sure you’d necessarily want the automated installation on some of the Android forks. For instance, on CalyxOS, some of microG’s services appear to be Google Apps to Aurora, and it will will try to update them by downloading updates from the Play Store. In this case, you’d want to blacklist the Play Store app in Aurora. Catching this before Aurora tries to automatically update them would be desirable.

Thanks!
Anyways, I am curious about them. I could have a look in Aurora Store to see if I find them there.

Somewhat off topic:
I too, am concerned about tracking in these android apps, but then again, I am using Android! I am running Asus-wrt Merlin with Diversion and can block all that garbage when I am home on my network, but it still gets through when I am out and about using Verizon Towers. I have accepted it as part of the modern world. My biggest offenders here according to Diversion are my Roku, Nvidia Shield and Amazon Echo Devices (of course).

That’s a great tips, thanks!
Frankly, I am just fine with manual installation of my apps from F-Droid and Aurora Store. I neve update the apps that I have installed from F-Droid, if I get update for them in AS as well. But sure, I need to blacklist them for not seeing them in the update panel.

Have you looked into Blokada for when you are using mobile data.
Or something like Netguard for blocking network access for the apps you don’t have to use when you are out and about. It can make use of a hosts file as well which can be appended with others of your choice.

1 Like