What are "Updating chromium-mirror git repo... " entries?

I’m not 100% sure how repos work and if this chromium repo should be present, but if it’s not required by the system, how can I safely remove it?

Why is this repo present in my system update in terminal? I updated the system with “eos-update --yay”

Do you have electron25 installed?

I have electron, electron25, electron26, electron29 and electron28 installed. I specifically haven’t installed those packages but I guess they could have come with some browser that I tested (I recently tested some chromium based browsers, including chromium & ungoogled chromium which I uninstalled).

Then it makes sense you would see those messages. chromium-mirror is one of the sources to pull from as defined in electron25’s AUR page.

I checked this from terminal. Would it be safe to remove the electron packages that aren’t required by anything? Also will it remove the very long update part where it’s contacting the chromium-mirror?

[jj@jj-systemproductname ~]$ pacman -Qi electron25 | grep "Req" | sed -e 's/Required By : //g'
Required By     : None
[jj@jj-systemproductname ~]$ pacman -Qi electron26 | grep "Req" | sed -e 's/Required By : //g'
[jj@jj-systemproductname ~]$ pacman -Qi electron | grep "Req" | sed -e 's/Required By : //g'
[jj@jj-systemproductname ~]$ pacman -Qi electron29 | grep "Req" | sed -e 's/Required By : //g'
Required By     : electron  element-desktop
[jj@jj-systemproductname ~]$ pacman -Qi electron28 | grep "Req" | sed -e 's/Required By : //g'

You should check the optional dependencies as well.

May I ask how does one check for optional dependancies?

In general, if you want to list out the packages that are installed as dependencies but are currently neither a dependency or optional dependency of any other package (what is often known as “orphans”), you run

$ pacman -Qdt

However, if you just want to know the packages that optionally require the electron packages, you can do something like this

$ pacman -Qqs electron* | pacman -Qi 

You can check the Optional for: section in the output to find out which packages optionally require the electron packages.

Hey. I appreciate the reply again! Like alot! This place is so good for learning :slight_smile:

But back to the issue. Turns out that electron* comes up with countless optional dependancies. Does it mean it would be better not to remove any of the electron packages?

PS This update thing is getting me worried. In the past an update used to take 30 minutes max. Now when this chromium repository is there, the update is taking more than 6 hours.

It keeps showing me messages like this:

/usr/bin/../lib64/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/13.2.1/../../../../include/c++/13.2.1/type_traits:818:5: note: 'is_pod<unsigned char>' has been explicitly marked deprecated here
  818 |     _GLIBCXX20_DEPRECATED_SUGGEST("is_standard_layout && is_trivial")

(41733/45602) CXX obj/third_part ... 

This is normal because those packages from the AUR aren’t pre-built (they aren’t the bin version); so when you updating them, they are actually being compiled from source. That’s why they take so long.

If you’re concerned about build time, you need to install the -bin versions of AUR packages.

Please be specific. Are you talking about electron25 having optional dependencies? Or are you talking about other packages optionally depending on electron25? There’s a difference.

Actually, just post the output of
$ pacman -Qqs electron* | pacman -Qi

Hey. Thank you for the bin tip. I didn’t know that bin is the better version. Will keep that in mind for future!

Here is the post of output (Im sorry, the output was very long, when I saved it as text it was about 1MB). I think there is something that I should fix in the system, but I’m exactly not sure what :slight_smile:

https://pastes.io/y6kp1nrvw6

You must keep electron29 because you have a package requiring it (element-desktop). You can uninstall electron, electron25, electron26, and electron28.

You can pipe whatever command into eos-sendlog next time, which will automatically generate a link that can be shared.

Try running this

$ pacman -Qqs electron* | pacman -Qi | eos-sendlog

eos-sendlog will generate a link containing the command’s output.

Hey. Here’s the log!

https://0x0.st/XrFs.txt

Ah. I’ve already gone through the logs. I was just giving you a tip.

This is my conclusion.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.