What application have you recently discovered?

Xournal. Love it! Works perfectly with my Huion graphics tablet. Even has pressure sensitivity! I’m always looking for classroom presentation tools. Xournal is a keeper.

2 Likes

While installing FerenOS in a VM, I read through the Tour, and learned that, in KDE, you don’t need to Alt+F2 to start the KRunner search… you can just type from the desktop.

I never knew that, after… however many years of using that daily… I don’t think KRunner existed in KDE3, so let’s say at least about 10 years since I switched to KDE4 (I waited a good while because KDE 4.0 was barely usable).

So, it’s never too late to learn, I suppose :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Sounds interesting. I didn’t test it yet. It can easily be installed from AUR.

So I really enjoy using multiple distros just to see what they are like (not necessarily for installation) and I recently found a project called Ventoy which is a multi-boot USB utility so I can boot my choice ISO files that I load to the USB and the added bonus that they have persistence support for more than just Ubuntu/Debian, which is huge because I couldn’t find anything that would support persistence for my favored distros (A lot of Arch-based distros, some independent distros such as Void Linux).

Severely disappointed! I thought I could use it to manage my out of control booze collection.

6 Likes

Schick die mir. Ich mach das .:wink:

1 Like

really, I used to only used my xppen deco 01 v2 tablet in gimp, krita and inkscape, I will have a try with using it in Xournal++ app for note taking.

ULauncher. Cool little tool which works kinda like Spotlight in macOS.

I have it installed on my x230t Thinkpad and it works pretty well with the pen that comes with it.

OpenSnitch

2 Likes

PacFinder is a GTK 3 desktop application for browsing packages installed on your Arch Linux system as well as exploring packages in the Arch Linux official package repositories. Should be compatible with any Linux distribution that uses pacman/libalpm for package management
https://github.com/stevenbenner/pacfinder

Summary

3 Likes

nmap! I know in this crowd I’m probably way late to the party, but it’s new to me, and I can’t stop messing with it. I also can’t believe such a versatile, useful gadget is free. I even tried it on the WiFi network at work. Will I get fired? I’m not hacking anything–just trying to learn nmap.

Yes! noisetorch is AWESOME! - most times. Sometimes, it does do some wonky stuff with my mic volume by turning it down to like 20%, then nobody can hear me.

The fix is just to restart it, but you never know if it’s gonna happen or not. Just gotta hope it works, which it does perfectly like 90% of the time.

Grab text from any image instantly with slop and tesseract.

• slop (Select Operation) is an application that queries for a selection from the user and prints the region to stdout.

The selection is then cropped and saved to a temporary file using ImageMagick’s import, from where tesseract will read, process it, and save its translation to a tmp text file. Finally from there it is piped to xclip.

The whole script looks like this

#!/bin/env bash

imagefile="/tmp/sloppy.$RANDOM.png"
text="/tmp/translation"
echo "$imagefile"
slop=$(slop -f "%g") || exit 1
read -r G < <(echo $slop)
import -window root -crop $G $imagefile
tesseract $imagefile $text 2>/dev/null 
cat $text".txt" | xclip -selection c

It’s nice to have under a shortcut.

You’ll also need tesseract-data-eng or any other language data file you plan on grabbing.

It doesn’t always succeed 100% especially if the fonts are unorthodox, so you’d want to double check everything if you are copying anything remotely critical. But for me it’s been very useful and at least 95 % reliable time saver. :smiling_face:

I also previously recommended scrot to capture a selection (image) to clipboard, but use maim instead; it’s less buggy. I use i3-maim-clpimg --select. You can find that in aur.

1 Like

I moved to Easyeffects these days for reliability at least, it has Xiph RNNoise