What application have you recently discovered?

I recently came across this app.

It is only available as a Flatpak so far, but someone may package it in the AUR soon.

(Note: I am not affiliated with this app in any way)

5 Likes

It is built on top of pandoc, which is in the AUR.

I have used pandoc-bin. Note that the PKGBUILD file in AUR is outdated, but it is simple to fix manually by modifying the pkgver variable in the PKGBUILD file.

1 Like

Sounds similar to AppImageLauncher, which I use.

I just make a folder for Appimages and add them to the menu myself, I don’t see the point of having an app to do this simple task. As for the updates all 3 I’ve used (currently only have Upscayl) you could get notified in app if there was one.

1 Like

I just don’t want to deal with any extra steps if not necessary. With AppImageLauncher, I double click the appimage, it launches and is automatically added to the proper menu location. No muss, no fuss.

1 Like

My way download to the folder, right click on the application menu->edit applications->select catagory->new item->name, point to appimage
But I get where you coming from too

2 Likes

GUI for distrobox.
AUR

1 Like

I do something like this too. I did originally set up AppImage Launcher, but then a couple weeks ago the AUR package was dropped by the maintainer (siting some challenges working with upstream).

yochananmarqos commented on 2024-05-19 00:26 (UTC) (edited on 2024-05-19 00:27 (UTC) by yochananmarqos)

Upstream is not maintaining the project and it currently won’t build. @oberon2007 and I have disowned the package.

As an alternative, I suggest Gear Lever (Flatpak, WIP AUR package).

SInce then, it looks like another maintainer has taken over the package, however in the meantime I had already decided it was probably for the best to move away from AppImage Launcher just in case.

For AppImages hosted on GitLab or GitHub, I figured out you can use their API URLs to download whatever the latest release is (without having the exact URL for the release), so updating the AppImage can be scripted.

This is kind of a rough example I cooked up for updating LibreWolf. It saves a backup of the current version and then pulls down the new one.

#!/bin/bash

# Let it rip
echo "Updating LibreWolf AppImage..."

# Check if the AppImage file exists
if [ -f "/home/$USER/Applications/LibreWolf.AppImage" ]; then
    # Move current AppImage to backup
    echo "Backing up current version..."
    mv "/home/$USER/Applications/LibreWolf.AppImage" "/home/$USER/Applications/LibreWolf.AppImage.old"
fi

# Download the latest release
echo "Downloading the latest version..."
latest_release=$(curl -s "https://gitlab.com/api/v4/projects/24386000/releases" | jq -r '.[0].tag_name' | sed 's/^v//' )
curl_result=$(curl -L -o "/home/$USER/Applications/LibreWolf.AppImage" "https://gitlab.com/api/v4/projects/24386000/packages/generic/librewolf/${latest_release}/LibreWolf.x86_64.AppImage" 2>&1)

# Check if download was successful
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
    echo "Download complete."
    chmod +x "/home/$USER/Applications/LibreWolf.AppImage"
    echo "LibreWolf AppImage updated successfully."
else
    echo "Failed to download the latest version:"
    echo "$curl_result"
    # Restore previous version if it was backed up
    if [ -f "/home/$USER/Applications/LibreWolf.AppImage.old" ]; then
        echo "Restoring previous version..."
        mv "/home/$USER/Applications/LibreWolf.AppImage.old" "/home/$USER/Applications/LibreWolf.AppImage"
    fi
    echo "Update failed."
fi

You can be notified when new releases are available by setting a custom alert in GitLab or GitHub. Just open the alert settings for the repo, hit “custom”, and check the box for new releases.

When a new release comes out for an AppImage I am using, I immediately get an email. Then I just run the script and :magic_wand: I’m up to date.

To get it into app launchers, I just toss a desktop file in ~/.local/share/applications like this:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=LibreWolf
Exec=librewolf %u
Icon=librewolf
Type=Application
MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/https;application/x-xpinstall;application/pdf;application/json;
StartupWMClass=LibreWolf
Categories=Network;WebBrowser;
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
X-MultipleArgs=false
Keywords=Internet;WWW;Browser;Web;Explorer;

Then I stick an icon in ~/.local/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/, and symlink the AppImage in /usr/local/bin so I have it on PATH.

Yikes, maybe that was an overshare…

TL;DR: me too. :grin:

5 Likes

This is a bit much for me, but I like it. :pinched_fingers:

1 Like

A bit much for me, as well. Very interesting, though. As I’ve had no issues with AppImage Launcher, I’m sticking with that. And it installed just fine a few days ago on my EOS Cinnamon laptop. I’ve been using it for months on my EOS KDE install on my PC. Like I said above, no muss, no fuss.

Just in case, I’ve bookmarked Gear Lever.

uwufetch

3 Likes

Organize and play audiobooks with Cozy

6 Likes

ripdrag, a Rust and GTK4 rewrite of dragon. It lets you drag-and-drop files out of your terminal for websites or apps that expect you to be able to drag a file over (so you don’t have to open a GUI file manager or whatever just for that task).

It works great! I have been tinkering with it a little bit today and cooked up a basic lf command to ripdrag files that have been selected in lf:

# ripdrag selected items
cmd ripdrag ${{
  ripdrag -xAH180 $fx > /dev/null 2>&1 &
}}
map <f-2> ripdrag

For just running straight in the terminal, ripdrag $(fzf) is a pretty nice combo.

5 Likes

You want to separate voices from an audio track/song, but found heavy and painful to install apps to do the job, here’s an alternative :

It’s not in the AUR, the easy way to install it is to install python-pipx package and then :

pipx install demucs

It will take a few minutes. Although the vocals are not crystal clear, the results are still very good, demucs separate 4 channels, drum, bass, vocals and other.

1 Like

Couldnt get the old firefox video plugin working on Librewolf, so I searched for a way to download segmented videos. Turns out that Arch repository has a pretty good solution. yt-dlp.
Simple command will download segments, and splice them together:
yt-dlp video url-to-m3u8

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Yt-dlp

3 Likes

On android I’m using Seal :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use Tartube. It is a prety decent frontend for yt-dlp imho

1 Like

You can also use Videomass or Video-Downloader or Vido :slight_smile:

have you tried Vido … it’s also a frontend of yt-dlp easy
to use ! :slight_smile:

I recently switch from firefox to librewolf. In firefox I used video downloader pro addon with their companion app which handled segmented videos, but the companion app will not install in librewolf. So no. I had always used an addon, but now that I am using yt-dlp I will try. Thanks.