What application have you recently discovered?

2 Likes

This looks great, pity that it’s not on aur

Nice, thank’s a lot for this one.
I got some Infos I couldn’t find before.
Great Man! :boom:

When I started to had real problems with vision, I’ve understood that all this “dark theme more comfortable” is entirely BS.

With poor blurred vision, and when it’s hard to focus, it’s terribly hard to read light text on dark background. And pain caused by it is much stronger then pain that comes from the light colors.

3 Likes

Of course, this is NOT the facts in this matter. I used to be able to handle a light theme, or even Windows, without much difficulty - although I tended to run alternate colour schemes where possible (for instance on Amiga) as they were more comfortable. Currently the pain (yes, real pain) becomes unbearable after about 2 minutes of a light theme on a desktop-sized monitor, and after 5 or so on a laptop - even with reducing brightness as far as practicable.

Those who complain about light modes aren’t kidding - they just have different issues than yours - and are far more numerous! (I remember, for instance, having to hack Microsoft Word to go white text on blue for my Dad back in the day for the same reasons as I now have).

Thank heavens we can all run things OUR way nowadays without having to become a software wizard!

3 Likes

I’m not against dark themes entirely, often they’re looking pretty neat.
Also pretty sure that there’s a cases when light tones caused pain is stronger then difficulties caused by harder focusing on light text.

Didn’t wanted to use AUR, cause as few AUR packages better for security and stability

No .appimages

Flatpack, no thanks, I don’t want 3.5 gb of runtimes for a single app

Trying to build, needs to download whole rust toolchain and 666 dependencies

Finally compiled

It’s not running…

So I’ve made my own, simpler version. But, with GPU-acceleration support it’s just 2 more arguments of the FFmpeg.

4 Likes

QDVDAuthor written in Qt6 (version 2.4.1-014)

Just a thought on that - I would expect that font changes can mitigate those difficulties when required - of course side-stepping the problem with an alternate theme is preferred…

3 Likes

Best GUI for gfpgan and real-esrpgan.

1 Like

For android : SuperImage | F-Droid

4 Likes

Similar category FOSS apps: RethinkDNS, Blokada, InviZible Pro, NetGuard, pdnsf, TrackerControl

InviZible Pro best for advanced users & RethinkDNS is good for general users.

All apps available on F-Droid :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks, there is adaway too, unsure if i try either trackercontrol or netguard

1 Like

Been using Adaway for years now with my own vpn on my Android devices without issues.
Added Steven Black hosts file to my vpn server besides using Adaway on my devices.

Extension to save your Chat-GPT history in .md files.
The extension has already been submitted for approval in the Chrome Web Store.

CCleaner alternative SD Maid (closed source) which is well known in android community, released v2 as FOSS app.

FAQ | IzzyOnDroid

5 Likes

Still a pre-release, and given that it deletes data I’m not brave enough to install it yet. But thanks for posting - I’ll be keeping a keen eye on it :eye:

3 Likes

dm-radio + mpv notify
I love listen radio at work simply scripts for dmenu
my dot

2 Likes

Finally in the Chrome Web Store -

1 Like