We've heard about the storiea of nvidia switchable graphics(PRIME or optimus manager), but what about AMD? Is there an equivalent AMD switchable graphics?

Greetings fellow humans, human fellas!

I’m not entirely sure if this is the correct forum to post, but eh. I’ll give it a shot.

We often hear about Nvidia switchable graphics within the Linux community, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard of AMD switchable graphics mentioned anywhere.

With the soon to be released Big NAVI AMD cards two weeks from now, I suspect we will start to see laptops with AMD dedicated Graphic cards.

We can assume to see Laptops with the following configuration.

• Intel iGPU + nVidia dGPU

• Intel iGPU + AMD dGPU

• AMD iGPU + nVidia dGPU

• AMD iGPU + AMD dGPU

What I’m worried about are the AMD GPU options in this list. It’s no surprise that Linux nvidia Optimus isn’t as polished as it is on windows, and requires some manual intervention. With the announcement of AMD dGPU and iGPUs, how would one setup switchable graphics?

I’ve already tried to search for an answer, but most of the answers are from eons ago and are most likely not applicable.

*for AMD.

1. Install the OS
  2. Use DRI_PRIME=1

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PRIME#PRIME_GPU_offloading

4 Likes

Oh my. I did not realize PRIME also handled AMD switchable graphics, what a treat!

1 Like
  1. wiki.
  2. archlinux.
  3. org

:crazy_face:

3 Likes

I swear I searched for hours for this… My search skills must be retarded smh

Nah, you just have to read the whole thing from cover to cover. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes