Welcome Screen - detect system issues

I get this message that pops up in the terminal which looks like it’s asking me to unisntall NVIDIA

“pacman -Rsn nvidia nvidia-installer-dkms nvidia-settings xf86-video-amdgpu xf86-video-ati broadcom-wl-dkms
systemctl disable systemd-time-wait-sync”

It prompts me for my password to complete the action

I have a laptop with a hybrid intel/Nvidia GPU which works really well with optimus manager qt configured properly

Is there a better way I can be using my hybrid GPU? Or am I misunderstanding the command there and it just wants to uninstall a useless part of Nvidia configuration?

Should I go ahead and follow the suggestion?

I think maybe it’s just asking me to get rid of the AMD part since it doesn’t apply to my system

Edit: I went ahead and removed all these packages, I’ll see if I notice anything different

Edit again: It just deleted nvidia so I installed it again

I think this thread can be deleted

should be interesting to detect this right with the tool @manuel ?

It is nothing wrong with that. Optimus Hardware nowadays can be run with either proprietary Nvidia OR with Nouveau driver. Some time ago one necessarily needed the proprietary driver.

That list looks like you had mixed nvidia software installed.

Agreed.

@Archnoob can you show the output of the following terminal commands:

device-info --vga
   device-info --display
   sudo pacman -S --needed nvidia-installer-dkms
   nvidia-installer-dkms -t -b
1 Like

I uninstalled everything and just installed regular Nvidia

Now on my XFCE partition, it just says

‘pacman -Rsn nvidia
systemctl disable systemd-time-wait-sync’

I’ll check my KDE one right now, then enter those commands in the terminal

On KDE it just says ‘pacman -Rsn nvidia’ and nothing else

I entered the commands, the second one didn’t do anything and just went to the next line. The last one didn’t work, probably because I said no to the installations

I noticed some new system updates a moment ago so I installed them. They were actually for the kernel and Nvidia, maybe these messages in the bottom right have something to do with it

You don’t seem to have Nvidia graphics card. You are using the Intel integrated graphics.
Please show the output of this:

lspci | grep -i nvidia

It says this

01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107M [GeForce GTX 950M] (rev a2)

@Archnoob
Thanks for the lspci listing!
That reveals an issue in the device-info command. That’s why welcome app falsely tried to remove nvidia packages. Sorry about that!
Device-info is now fixed, so after updating your system (including welcome), the welcome app should work as expected.

To make sure it works as expected, please show again the output of command

device-info --vga
4 Likes

Great job on the quick fix. Now the welcome screen says no important issues were detected

The device info command says

device-info --vga
Intel Corporation HD Graphics 530 (rev 06)
NVIDIA Corporation GM107M [GeForce GTX 950M] (rev a2)

1 Like