Welcome and Reflector-simple don't appear

Hi!

I’ve tried to launch the Welcome and Reflector-Simple programs from the start menu as well as with the commands ‘welcome’, ‘eos-welcome’ and ‘reflector-simple’ on CLI. Before they appeared on the screen, but not any more.I used to switch bwtween Welcome and the ‘yay -Syu’ command in ordder to update and upgrade Pacman and AUR on my EndeavourOS (EOS) LXQT every day, but I have used only ‘yay -Syu’ for a couple of days. The ‘yay -Syu’ command still seems to work, which I have used for updating and upgrading EOS instead of the ‘yay’ command on its own since then.

But I have not given the ‘yay -Syyu’ command. Is that causing problems?

(Reflector and Reflector-Simple are preinstalled on my EOS - but I have actually not used Reflector-Simple.)

When I give the ‘eos-welcome’, ‘eos-welcome --help’ or ‘reflector-simple’ commands now, the following error messages appear.

$ eos-welcome

(process:150097): Gtk-WARNING **: 20:45:04.428: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback ‘C’ locale.
Unable to parse command line: Invalid byte sequence in conversion input

$ eos-welcome --help

(process:150527): Gtk-WARNING **: 20:45:26.933: Locale not supported by C library.

]$ reflector-simple
reflector-simple: info: reading file /etc/reflector-simple-tool.conf
reflector-simple: info: reading file /etc/reflector-simple.conf

(process:4522): Gtk-WARNING **: 14:00:11.570: Locale not supported by C library.

Could you please suggest some articles and/or links regarding Welcome and other issues explained in this message. I’d like to learn more. (I’m no IT professional.)

Is there something else I should do, for instance how to get Welcome and Reflector-Simple back working and to fix the error messages? Would you like to suggest me better practices for updating and upgrading, like just using Reflector (without Welcome and Reflector-Simple)?

First of all… you can run yay without any options it calls -Syu per default anyway…

On the locale issue . Do you change anything related to language?

Show

locale output

Thank you for your reply, joekamprad!

First of all, I run yay without any options.

As far as I have understood, yay=yay -Syu. Is that right?

What about the ‘yay -Syyu’ command? Should I run it sometimes, too?

(After ‘yay’ I run the following commands:
grub-install …
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

After a grub package update it was advised to run both, installation and regeneration of configuration with these commands because of ‘2022-08-30 Grub bootloader upgrade and configuration incompatibilities’.)

My answer to your question ‘Do you change anything related to language?’ is that I haven’t added or changed any languages on my EOS. Generally, I use only English on my apps and computer, if possible. On the other hand, I set keyboard and time among other things in Finnish at the install of EOS. So some settings are in Finnish, as the ‘locale’ command outputs below show.

I tried to search what is locale output, but didn’t find any answers. So I’ll give information about the current installed locale as follows.

$ locale
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
LANG=fi_FI.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE=“fi_FI.UTF-8”
LC_NUMERIC=fi_FI.UTF-8
LC_TIME=fi_FI.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE=“fi_FI.UTF-8”
LC_MONETARY=fi_FI.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES=“fi_FI.UTF-8”
LC_PAPER=fi_FI.UTF-8
LC_NAME=fi_FI.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=fi_FI.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=fi_FI.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=fi_FI.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=fi_FI.UTF-8
LC_ALL=

$ localectl status
System Locale: LANG=fi_FI.UTF-8
VC Keymap: fi
X11 Layout: fi

$ locale -k LC_TIME
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
abday=“Sun;Mon;Tue;Wed;Thu;Fri;Sat”
day=“Sunday;Monday;Tuesday;Wednesday;Thursday;Friday;Saturday”
abmon=“Jan;Feb;Mar;Apr;May;Jun;Jul;Aug;Sep;Oct;Nov;Dec”
mon=“January;February;March;April;May;June;July;August;September;October;November;December”
am_pm=“AM;PM”
d_t_fmt=“%a %b %e %H:%M:%S %Y”
d_fmt=“%m/%d/%y”
t_fmt=“%H:%M:%S”
t_fmt_ampm=“%I:%M:%S %p”
era=
era_year=“”
era_d_fmt=“”
alt_digits=
era_d_t_fmt=“”
era_t_fmt=“”
time-era-num-entries=0
time-era-entries=“”
week-ndays=7
week-1stday=19971130
week-1stweek=4
first_weekday=1
first_workday=2
cal_direction=1
timezone=“”
date_fmt=“%a %b %e %H:%M:%S %Z %Y”
time-codeset=“ANSI_X3.4-1968”
alt_mon=“January;February;March;April;May;June;July;August;September;October;November;December”
ab_alt_mon=“Jan;Feb;Mar;Apr;May;Jun;Jul;Aug;Sep;Oct;Nov;Dec”

this is not a command… the 3 dots are there for may be filled with options you need…
On the locale issue i would try to check /etc/locale.gen or post it here… to have the right locale selected

fi_FI.UTF-8 UTF-8  
fi_FI@euro ISO-8859-15

and if you use english also add the
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
to uncommented lines in the file…

and regenerate the locales:
sudo locale-gen

reboot and see if this solves your issue

Thank you very much for your help, joekamprad!

Selecting the right locales in /etc/locale.gen, regenerating the locales and rebooting solved the issue.
After rebooting Welcome appeared automatically. I could launch Reflector-simple from start menu. It and Welcome seemed to work as expected.

1 Like

okay but partly unclear to me :wink: what counts is that it do the trick for you :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.