Weird issue with new SSD

So, got my new SSD in today. Put it in my P14s G4 AMD that was running Endeavour. Booted from the Endeavour USB to reinstall, and it wouldn’t see the drive. Absolutely did NOT see there was anything to install to. Went into BIOS, drive there. Booted OpenSUSE Tumbleweed install USB, drive there. Booted Debian install USB, drive there. Booted EndeavourOS again…drive completely missing.

So, I’ve reinstalled with Debian, and tested using Kdiskmark and F3 to verify if the drive appears genuine. And it does indeed appear genuine. In Kdiskmark it benchs at 6500/4800 which is totally in line with the components and the fact that this is a 4TB instead of a 2TB (Maxiotech MAP1602 controller, YMTC Xtacking 3.0 232-layer NAND).

Anyone seen this before? At this point, I’ve got Debian installed so I won’t be changing it, so not looking for a fix. It’s installed and running. I won’t be able to collect any information from the attempt. I’m just looking to see if anyone has seen Endeavour simply NOT be able to see an NVMe disk when it was running on the prior NVMe, there were no changes to the BIOS, and other OS’s have no issues seeing it.

Install USB was using the latest installer image.

Oh, and 1 other thing, the PRIOR NVMe drive…EXACT same controller and NAND. Only a 2TB version instead of a 4TB.

Do you have the latest motherboard firmware/BIOS?

I recently experienced a disappearance of an nvme drive so I have been looking at a bunch of possible solutions! (BTW, mine appears to have died). As a recap, certain brands appear to be more susceptible to this, and the fixes range from hard BIOS reset to accessing via nvme-cli tool for a drive reset. Another possibility seemed to be checking whether gparted could see it, and creating your EFI partition - after which it deigned to show up. Archwiki has some ideas too - always good to check there! Oh - and parameter settings in BIOS are sometimes the answer too. Good luck!

Yes, updated before I swapped the SSD out.

I actually did use the NVMe reset tool in BIOS to see if it that would make it appear for the Endeavour. Gparted definitely wouldn’t have worked, when I say it wasn’t there, I mean checking lsblk and dmesg I could find no signs of it even being seen as hooked up to the system. Mind you, I only did a couple quick greps on dmesg to see if I could find it, nothing intensive, but I did try a few things.

1 Like

Double-check in your BIOS settings that the SATA controller is set to AHCI mode (not RAID, or anything else).

AMD based Thinkpads don’t have that settings since they don’t support Intel RST.

Intel RST is not related to AHCI. AMD introduced support for the AHCI spec in the mid-2000s. :eyes:

Most UEFI boards allow the SATA controller to be explicitly set to AHCI mode. If you can’t find settings for your SATA controller, check if there is an “advanced” settings menu that can be exposed. Sometimes it is not obvious how to do that so you may need to search, or refer to the BIOS manual for your model.

Intel RST is related to this setting in BIOS, as “RAID” mode means use Intel RST, and AHCI mode means, well, AHCI.
AMD doesn’t support Intel RST, therefore has no “RAID” mode for the SATA controller, therefore it just works in AHCI mode, even if it’s run as a fake RAID.
I have 7 laptops with Ryzens (4 ThinkPads, 2 Inspirons, 1 Lenovo) and none of them have this setting.

That’s not accurate, AMD offers its own RAID solution. It is (creatively) named “AMD RAID”. It’s the counterpart to Intel RST but is designed for AMD-based systems, including motherboards that use AMD chipsets. On many devices, especially ones that come with Windows pre-installed, RAID is the default setting for the controller.

On some machines recent kernel versions cannot see the disk unless the controller is explicitly set to AHCI mode, so it is worth taking a look to see if this setting is exposed in the BIOS if you haven’t already.

Like I said, I have 7 laptops with AMD chips, and none of them have this setting.

So, Debian doesn’t work very well on this. GUI keeps crashing, I think it’s due to mesa as the Kernel I was running was 6.5.something (Liquorix). If I caught it quick enough and switched to console, the gui would crash and restart, but if not, it would crash and take the entire X session with it, making any and all input impossible.

So, tested the Endeavour install USB again (still doesn’t detect the SSD) and installed OpenSUSE Tumbleweed. So far, seems a thousand times more stable (no Xorg crashes as of yet). Still weird that Endeavour installed on a MaxioTech 1602 /w YMTC 232-layer NAND 2TB drive, but the same components in a 4TB arrangement it doesn’t even SEE. Oh well, guess it was good for me since it got me to try out other OS’s on here.

I don’t know about NVMe or msata drives, but I know that on both my Endeavour machines USB drives are flakey. They show up on lsblk but never show up in the gnome disks app or gparted. Works fine in Windoze and Debian. Using KDE.

So, just an update. As I suspected, it was probably an issue with the kernel on the live ISO. The new Galileo install USB is able to see the SSD without issues.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.