Wayland RDP screen sharing? (like Fedora 36)

Hello,

I just tried the Fedora 36 beta because I heard it has RDP screen sharing for Wayland. I found that it worked perfectly (using GNOME 42).

My question is: what does Gnome 42 use to achieve this and how can I replicate it in EndeavourOS (preferably for other desktop environments as well). I would hope that Gnome just provides a front-end for configuring something that is available for any desktop environment.

Basically the only thing keeping me on X11 currently is the absence of decent screen sharing for Wayland. But having tried the RDP on the new Fedora, it’s even better than x0vncserver and Thinlinc (which is what I currently use).

Is there something I can run to supply a Wayland session via RDP (not necessarily headless, even something that runs for the logged in user would be fine).

It’s part of GNOME 42 so will work in exactly the same way., it just needs gnome-remote-desktop.

I was hoping it’s something that can be used with any desktop environment…

Now that I have it in EndeavourOS, I’ve logged into GNOME and I can see it actually see it uses freerdp for the protocol side:

[user@host ~]$ ldd /usr/lib/gnome-remote-desktop-daemon | grep rdp
	libfreerdp2.so.2 => /usr/lib/libfreerdp2.so.2 (0x00007f9d80396000)
	libfreerdp-client2.so.2 => /usr/lib/libfreerdp-client2.so.2 (0x00007f9d802de000)
	libfreerdp-server2.so.2 => /usr/lib/libfreerdp-server2.so.2 (0x00007f9d802a3000)

But I’m guessing the wayland-capture side is integrated to their own service?

That’s a pitty… I hope someone creates something dekstop-agnostic soon…