Wayland + Nvidia - No Signal Black Screen on Login

That is why torvalds thucked nvidia

1 Like

Because it gets a black screen on Wayland? :laughing:

Because it got too many issues thank god i did not take a nvidia laptop

OK re-enabled iGPU in BIOS, removed from blacklist (in /etc/modprobe.d, not even sure that applies to my system/install).

No dice - same black screen on Wayland. Going to try the “sddm-git” install now and see what happens.

1 Like

Go get intel :smiley:

Best gpu for linux i got intel tigerlake

Windows shows that its of 8 gb ×_×

No luck. Booted into a very old-school looking login screen after the “sddm-git” install - but Wayland did not work.

X11 is, as always, working.

A tiny part of me wonders if KDE Plasma 6 will fix this for me. If so…how might I go about trying that?

I think it’s a bug in the NVIDIA drivers maybe?

Edit: I know this is on Gnome but it’s still Wayland.

Edit: But then again it works for me but i only have the GTX 1060 gpu. The RTX 4090 is a whole different animal.

Oh fascinating. So I wonder if I set my main display down to 60Hz if that will fix things for the time being (not ideal though, of course - dammit Nvidia!).

If I set this on X11 however, it won’t be updated on the Wayland side though, right?

I’m not sure? You can try it easily enough.

Edit: I only have 60 Hz monitors anyway and like i say my gpu is only the GTX 1060.

Hmm, alright - thanks for that link, it led me to search for other things. It is possible that specifically 120Hz on the latest series of Nvidia drivers, when on Wayland with multiple monitors, is just broken:

1. https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/kde-wayland-cannot-be-started-on-545-when-refresh-rate-is-above-60hz-rtx-4080/278040
  2. https://www.reddit.com/r/Fedora/comments/rlihic/nvidia_drivers_wayland_monitor_refresh_rate/
  3. https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=284544

Just deleted the items in /.local/share/kscreen to reset monitor configuration, will reboot and see…

I see. I didn’t look too far but i think there is some truth to some of it.

I believe I recall having that issue with nvidia + wayland in plasma 5.27 as well, but I believe it was fixed in plasma 6 which I am currently running from the testing repos with no problem. However, there were a few issues relating to this that weren’t all caused by the same issue, so I’m not sure if what is causing your issue specifically got fixed.

Also I’m not using any of the wayland or gbm environment variables that you are using. It was my understanding that kwin dropped eglstreams support back during 5.24, so I don’t believe the gbm variables are necessary anymore.

Who is using environmental variables. What are you referring to?

I’m late to the thread I was replying to the OP’s original comment in which they posted the contents of their /etc/environment file.

Well…that resolved it. Except first I tried 100Hz - on reboot got the same black screen. Set it to 60Hz - on reboot, it worked!

So something is wrong with Nvidia’s drivers, as you’d suggested with that link, @ricklinux - at least for Wayland on KDE Plasma 5.27.

I am curious if this will persist with KDE Plasma 6 - willing to give that a try (for science!) since I have nothing setup on this install yet and will probably nuke it for a proper tabula rasa.

What was your way of installing it @d-air1 - your issue was frequency related too?

Yes i see but i don’t know if it matters as i originally had those and was working on mine but i removed them for that reason also after reading more info. But again as i say the RTX 4090 is a whole different animal to my GTX 1060 card.

In the one post it said it was working at 165 Hz. Not sure what your monitors are capable of.

@pr0927
Did you go back to sddm also?