Warnings on update

Do NOT do it! :exploding_head:

will a timeshift snapshot do ?

As long as you can recover it without a network or anything else present in the linux-firmware package.

Right! I have done it 
 after I had previously set a restore point with Timeshift. It seemed strange to me that the size of the files to be removed was larger than the original linux-firmware package. So, the following reboot went in the pants. Btw: I found it very cumbersome to install Timeshift in the live version of EOS (crontab is also necessary, otherwise Timeshift cannot be started). I did this from a live session at Manjaro. Suggestion: How about integrating Timeshift into the ISO, that can Timeshift already running? Just for THIS case!

I selected a restore point BEFORE I installed linux-firmware. Looks like everything is clean again now.

Update: linux-firmware-package is already running, sadly

[uwe@HAL ~]$ sudo pacman -Si linux-firmware
[sudo] Passwort fĂŒr uwe: 
Repositorium             : core
Name                     : linux-firmware
Version                  : 20200817.7a30af1-1
Beschreibung             : Firmware files for Linux
Architektur              : any
URL                      : https://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git;a=summary
Lizenzen                 : GPL2  GPL3  custom
Gruppen                  : Nichts
Stellt bereit            : Nichts
HĂ€ngt ab von             : Nichts
Optionale AbhÀngigkeiten : Nichts
In Konflikt mit          : Nichts
Ersetzt                  : Nichts
GrĂ¶ĂŸe des Downloads      : 121,57 MiB
InstallationsgrĂ¶ĂŸe       : 562,54 MiB
Packer                   : Laurent Carlier <lordheavym@gmail.com>
Erstellt am              : Do 20 Aug 2020 06:43:39 CEST
Verifiziert durch        : MD5-Summe  SHA-256-Summe  Signatur

@dalto sure it could be that as I mention before.
But most hardware does not need firmware to be loaded on power on and if you do not remove all packages from cache you will have it in the cache after simple removing package before.

1 Like

I did . Just reinstalled because linux-firmware was in the cache . Or I would have retsored from timeshift snapshot .

Btrfs :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

No worries about booting live when you have grub entries

I assume that the obsolete linux-firmware-package cannot cause any damage if it remains on the computer. This is not something that is running in the background and then brakes because it can’t find a target. So then thanks to all of you, who’s got to waste your time with this.

If you mean it isn’t installed then yes it won’t cause problems.

linux-firmware isn’t software that runs on it’s own. It used by certain hardware devices.

And if these are not present, as @joekamprad confirmed, the whole thing goes nowhere, right?

Edit: Please excuse my stupid questions!

Yes.

1 Like