Want the Private Window of Firefox to launch maximized .... Is this possible?

@Hystrix
not working

This one is not working. When I click on “Ask to save logins and passwords for websites” its becoming grayed out.

I thought Plasma was actually running lighter than XFCE these days?

Ofc it probably depends if you install all the KDE application bloat as well I guess! :smiley:

1 Like

That I am not aware of. I can install Plasma alongside XFCE but default XFCE apps & KDE apps will make a mess of the menu.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have Plasma installed alongside XFCE, but I chose to just install Plasma by itself, with none of the apps. There are way too many KDE apps, most of which I’ll never use and the entire apps package for KDE is very bloated in terms of number of apps.

@freebird54
Why do you think the Arch team didn’t create a wiki page specifically for yay ?
I want to understand the difference between -Syu & -Sua.

1 Like

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman/Rosetta

Found the description for -Syu but couldn’t find -Sua so I tried using the search feature of Librewolf which is CTRL+F but that too didn’t find any matches for -Sua.

It is for AUR packages using an AUR helper like yay:

Select Passwords from menu and click Create New Login in bottom left corner . Type or paste website address, username and password .

Got it.

Okay I will try that but since now logins are not erased when I close the browser I don’t need to do a fresh login for 9 out of 10 pages. Some rare websites don’t let you use persistent login for their web pages even if your browser supports this feature. I will try your method for those rare sites.

A horrible thought, I know, but the easiest place to be sure of finding things like that out is to try:
man yay
to see what yay can do. It can seem intimidating at first, but even a quick scan will give you an idea of what it can do - and it remains a reference for the details of making something happen later on.

The part that you need is near the top - reproduced here for clarity:

part of man yay
EXTENDED PACMAN OPERATIONS
       -S, -Si, -Sl, -Ss, -Su, -Sc, -Qu
              These operations are extended to support both AUR and repo packages.

-Sc    Yay will also clean cached AUR package and any untracked Files in the cache. Cleaning untracked files will wipe any
              downloaded sources or built packages but will keep already downloaded vcs sources.

-R     Yay will also remove cached data about devel packages.

NEW OPTIONS
       --repo Assume all targets are from the repositories. Additionally Actions such as sysupgrade will only act on repository
              packages.

-a, --aur
              Assume all targets are from the AUR. Additionally Actions such as sysupgrade will only act on AUR packages.

Note that dependency resolving will still act normally and include repository packages.

Hope that helps…

1 Like

There is a generic page for AUR helpers but Arch doesn’t officially support using them so there isn’t going to pages in the Arch wiki about how to use them in detail.

yay -Syu, which is the same thing as just typing yay, updates your databases, repo packages and AUR packages in that order. It is a single simple command that updates your whole system. You can literally just type yay and hit enter.

yay -Sua only updates AUR packages.

Wow ! In that case no need to read any wiki or manual. From now on I will use just yay instead of pacman -Syu.

Since you mention that Arch doesn’t officially support AUR helpers I am curious. Are there any downsides of using helpers like the yay ? Anything that I should know ?

I don’t believe there are any real downsides of using yay. In fact, it has additional options that pacman doesn’t have as far as output display goes. There is a lot of myth and legend about the evil of AUR helpers but as far as I can tell those are either tied to people misunderstanding and passing on things they have heard or the early days of AUR helpers when things like yaourt were partially broken and did cause issues. But that was a long time ago.

The risk is really tied to using the AUR. The AUR is a collection of user submitted PKGBUILDs so there is some risk there. That being said, in my opinion, the AUR is the safest user-supported repo on any distro due the transparency of it. Arch users just tend to be much more conservative than other distros on this issue. There are tons of existing topics on the forum of how to use the AUR in a safe manner.

In my case the good thing is that at the moment there is only one package on my system that originates from AUR. The bad thing is that only package happens to be Librewolf which is my one & only interface to the internet. If by any chance if Librewolf is compromised it will be a disaster for me. I gave up Firefox in favor of Librewolf coz it claims to be more private and secure.

Since the Librewolf project themselves recommend installing from AUR indicates they too trust this package.

https://librewolf-community.gitlab.io/install/

Arch

The AUR has librewolf and librewolf-bin packages. The first one compiles Librewolf from the Firefox source code with our patches and modifications while the latter provides a binary.

With yay:

yay -S librewolf

# alternatively:
yay -S librewolf-bin

Every morning when I boot my PC I get a graphical notification of available updates. Its called EOS notifier right ? Since Librewolf is the first package that I installed from AUR I am not sure if the EOS notifier notifies about AUR packages. Will the EOS notifier notify is a new version of Librewolf is available ?

Yup, it will notify you about AUR packages

1 Like

I rarely use “sudo pacman -Syyuu”, I normally just “yay -Syyuu” instead. Does everything in 1 command.

Why?

And why not yay -Syyyyyyyyyuuuuuuuuu…? :rofl:

3 Likes

Not to mention… why not yay

Doing uu routinely is dangerous. You should only do that if there is a reason to do so.

Doing yy is wasteful and puts unneeded stress on the mirrors.

If you once used Manjaro I can understand why you would do it that way but it isn’t needed on Arch.

1 Like