Wacom drivers overwritten by trackpad

As outlined in the solution in Wacom Tablet Recognized as Mouse, the X11 driver configuration (as Endeavour has it) overwrites wacom drivers, causing tablets to be recognized as trackpads by mistake.

xf86-input-wacom installs the configuration in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-wacom.conf, but in Endeavour /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/30-trackpad.conf overwrites it.

then … remove it ?

Yes. However, users shouldn’t have to mess about with X11 configuration to get tablets to work. There’s no indication anything is wrong to the end user except pressure doesn’t work and tracking is funny.

I do question on this, as if we do not have 30-trackpad.conf wacom will not work, and if we remove it users not using a wacom have an issue :wink:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xorg/Guide#The_xorg.conf.d_directory

says:

For example, 10-evdev.conf will be read before 20-synaptics.conf; a-evdev.conf will be read before b-synaptics.conf, and so on.

so as we change the number to something like 90-trackpad.conf may solve this issue?

can you try to rename the files and see if it works?

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/30-trackpad.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-trackpad.conf

What I was saying is that if you remove 30-touchpad.conf (I mistakenly said it was 30-trackpad.conf earlier) the tablet works as intended. If you keep it the driver is applied to the wacom tablet, making it behave as a touchpad which is why pressure sensitivity is missing and tracking is weird. The Arch wiki outlines exactly what happens. /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d gets executed first, followed by /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d. The wacom drivers are in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d. The touchpad drivers are in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d so get applied afterwards, overwriting the wacom ones.

If 30-touchpad.conf was moved to /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d it wouldn’t conflict with the wacom drivers, causing tablets to use the wacom drivers as intended.

1 Like

do you try this out? i do not have any wacom equipped device to test this…

I did, and it works fine. I don’t know if it interferes with operation of trackpads by moving it there, though. I don’t have a laptop to test that on.

We will see… i do merge this changes to october release :wink: