Vulkan issue (R9 390X)

Hello, I’ve encountered this strange issue with trying to use vulkan with my GPU (an AMD Radeon R9 390X, using the amdgpu driver).

I’ve installed Steam and all the Vulkan dependencies needed (amdvlk lib32-amdvlk vulkan-icd-loader lib32-vulkan-icd-loader and probably more) but when running vulkaninfo I get the following output.

WARNING: [Loader Message] Code 0 : terminator_CreateInstance: Failed to CreateInstance in ICD 0.  Skipping ICD.
ERROR: [Loader Message] Code 0 : terminator_CreateInstance: Found no drivers!
Cannot create Vulkan instance.
This problem is often caused by a faulty installation of the Vulkan driver or attempting to use a GPU that does not support Vulkan.
ERROR at /build/vulkan-tools/src/Vulkan-Tools-1.3.226/vulkaninfo/vulkaninfo.h:672:vkCreateInstance failed with ERROR_INCOMPATIBLE_DRIVER

Running vkcube I get this:

Cannot find a compatible Vulkan installable client driver (ICD).

Please look at the Getting Started guide for additional information.

When I try launching a game (BeamNG drive) I get reports of no compatible GPU found.
Launching the Linux binary in the BinLinux folder of the game I get the following error log (when launching through Steam (Proton) the game doesn’t open due to lack of a supported display device):

0.18336|I|initFS| Virtual Filesystem: user path: /home/mm/.local/share/BeamNG.drive/0.27/
  0.18338|D|initFS|  - user path reason: Default path
  0.18338|D|initFS|  - user mods path: /home/mm/.local/share/BeamNG.drive/0.27/mods/
  0.18338|D|initFS|  - game mods path: /home/mm/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/BeamNG.drive/content/
  0.18339|D|main| H2 B25C2F01BBA161B711C797E2F94499063691
>   0.18621|I|init| Initializing platform...
  0.18637|D|initializeSystem| initializing 98 modules (only displaying anything above 0.1 s)...
  0.18646|I|init| SFXFMODProvider - FMOD API version: 2.2.16
  0.19519|D|createDevice| Using default audio device: MEGATRON by VECLAN.COM Analog Stereo
  0.26696|D|createDevice| SFXSystem::createDevice - created FMOD device 'MEGATRON by VECLAN.COM Analog Stereo'
  0.26698|D|createDevice|    CAPS_VoiceManagement
  0.26716|D|finalizeInitialization|    Provider: FMOD
  0.26717|D|finalizeInitialization|    Hardware: false
  0.26717|D|finalizeInitialization|    Buffers: 16
[S_API] SteamAPI_Init(): SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() did not locate a running instance of Steam.
[S_API] SteamAPI_Init(): Loaded '/home/mm/.local/share/Steam/linux64/steamclient.so' OK.
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; create pipe failed.  0.30142|D|init| Could not initialize Steam functions
  0.31410|I|GELua.| ============== Game Engine Lua VM started ==============
  0.38819|D|GELua.gameplay_missions_progress.| Loaded 0 condition types from 0 files.
  0.38882|D|GELua.gameplay_missions_missions.| Loaded 2 procedural Mission Generators from 2 files.
  0.38996|D|GELua.gameplay_missions_unlocks.| Loaded 9 condition types from 4 files.
  0.39688|D|init| GFX Init:
  0.39689|D|_GFXInitReportAdapters|    Null device found
  0.39720|D|initializeSystem| ... all modules loaded in 0.210829613 seconds
  0.40196|D|createDevice| Available adapters: 1
  0.40197|D|createDevice|  - name:GFX Null Device, outputName:, gfx:, gpu:
  0.40197|E|createDevice| Not able to find graphics adapter
Exiting

My ls /usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/ contains amd_icd32.json amd_icd64.json.

If anyone could help me troubleshoot this I’d be very grateful (I’m a relative noob when it comes to Linux). I can provide more logs if needed.

TLDR: Vulkan doesn’t work despite my GPU supporting Vulkan and all the needed Vulkan drivers being installed.

Hello, and welcome
Did you try with the vulkan-radeon/lib32-vulkan-radeon packages instead of amdvlk ?
vkcube works fine with my Radeon RX 570.

2 Likes

Oh my god I feel stupid. This was it. Switched to vulkan-radeon and it’s working fine.

Thank you very much man :)!

EDIT:
Ok, not so perfect. Launches the binary fine, but opening it through Steam (proton) still results in a crash. Guessing I need to force Steam to use the vulkan-radeon driver?
Adding VK_ICD_FILENAMES=/usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/radeon_icd.x86_64.json doesn’t appear to do anything other than crash the game instantly when launching. If I go into launcher settings and select vulkan manually the game crashes as well. (Vulkan device not found).

sudo pacman -Rssun amdvlk lib32-amdvlk
sudo pacman -S vulkan-radeon lib32-vulkan-radeon
sudo pacman -S steam # pick vulkan-radeon
2 Likes

Yep, this was it. Again, thank you both!

Next time I should probably pay attention when installing Steam :smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.