VM Window completely locks up on Arch based distro

Hi, I have two monitors, I am using xfce edition and I have installed virtual box via:

sudo pikaur -S virtualbox and not from the virualbox’s website.

my current version: 7.0.6 r155176

All of my VMs were created on Windows.

For some reason when I start them they always appear on my left screen (which is not my primary screen) and it completely locks up the Window, I cannot move it anywhere or make it smaller or anything. How come this is happening and what can I do to fix this?

This is not connected to your vm’s locking

virtual machines are usually portable but issues may surface with the vm’s installed guest utils.

If virtualbox uses semantic versioning - the shift in major varsion from 6 to 7 signals some backwards incompatibility.

This could be caused by compositing and perhaps window effects caused by qt.

VirtualBox is a qt based application and thus - on xfce - the window properties are controlled by qt toolkit - and if installed Kvantum - it is known that theme settings may cause the vm window to act strange. especially it may become opague.

Another problem may be the extension pack - if used - which is highly sensitive to the vbox version in use.

A third thing to consider is the version of the guest utils installed inside the vm. The version may not be able to communicate with the host or the communication is garbled due to version mismatch.

All that said - I use virtualbox daily - same version as yours - and have no issues.

$ inxi -S
System:
  Host: tiger Kernel: 6.1.7-zen1-1-zen arch: x86_64 bits: 64
    Desktop: KDE Plasma v: 5.26.5 Distro: Arch Linux
 $ vboxmanage --version
7.0.6r155176

I will get back to you on this.

It isn’t happening anymore, I might have had to just drop the state!

I also disabled under windows tweaks any transparency as well so don’t know what fixed it!

Yes - that may indeed cause issues as well :slight_smile:

Shame on you - you didn’t mention saved states in OP :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:rofl:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.