Views on MacOS?

Too expensive and too proprietary! Don’t like the fact how expensive it is for where it’s made. Not knocking the hardware because it is decent. If it was made in the USA it would be worth what they charge for it!

1 Like

I have a visceral reaction to Apple and their products in general and their UI in particular.

I went the other way. Since I’ve been using Linux for many years, I thought I’d try what it feels like to use a Mac, even though I’ve met it a long time ago before Intel.

You are correct if you are just a user then you are stuck with the apple way that is in my view very poor

People that build their own know its based on FreeBsd under the hood so it is terminal concentric and uses basic commands as unix. so you can build and install software just like UNIX not everything works mind you but a lot does.

My hackintosh based on the latest Catilina is on the same machine as Windows and Linux,
What mac does well it does well.

That said i don’t like the outdated UI and prefer Gnome for work flow, Gnome does most things i need for my varied music, film, photo interests

2 Likes

Mac OS/OSX/macOS used to be great. It’s still good, but it’s getting worse as they cripple the system. The only thing I miss from macOS is the easy way to handle file/directory permissions with GUI. Mac hardware has been crap since 2013.

1990-2014 I did everything on a mac. 2014->late 2018 I did everything on a hackintosh. Since then I’ve made the switch to Linux and haven’t looked back.

3 Likes

Great design if you can afford it. Descent computers. Has a fan boy circuit with a massive chip on their shoulders, only outdone by the “BTW I use Arch”-crowd.

ducks behind the sofa

3 Likes

I always recommend a Windows user to move to Mac because they have better privacy, security & simplicy. The UI is always easily adoptable from my experience compared to Linux unless their are a techie.

As mentioned earlier about privacy, I recall there being just one toggle button to turn of telemetry unlike windows where you need 3rd party apps to help you do it.

As for security, the OS gives you full disk encryption, no “pro” version needed to have this feature. Its a very good tool.

Well that’s my 2 cents on the matter.

1 Like

Yes, Mac’s are a “walled garden” but that garden does not nag you to do things. Windows is like some kind of 1984 “society” where “wrongthought” is not allowed and quickly extinguished. As for Apple (off-topic), yeah not so good I agree.

Linux is like stepping out of the garden into the wild. There are people in the wild, good people, but you also have to learn to make your own decisions and look after yourself. I believe they call it “Freedom”.

For myself I love freedom, but sometimes I like to visit that pretty little garden called “Mac”. It doesn’t lock any gate behind me. Windows just throws what are almost threats at me. It’s a shame because I think Word is a great piece of software, but I’ll just use the old version on my Mac, screw “365” and all the other subscription bull***t.

Mentioning the title of this thread, it is about the OS, not about Apple hardware. An interesting point was made about Hackintoshes: If you want to play with the OS then it can be done. Not very stable though! Better done with older OSX versions I think. Of course I never said that :wink:

I do know that I’ve learnt far more about computing and also freedom since switching to Linux, but I won’t knock MacOS/OSX too hard, it’s a lovely OS in my opinion.

1 Like

I actually find hackintosh very stable once set up its virtually the same as the real thing well it is the real thing. clover takes care of it all.

1 Like

I’ve not tried Clover but it does sound very good/interesting. For my part I’m happy enough running Linux on some PCs and MacOS/X on Apple’s hardware. I am using 2 old MacBooks though and they won’t update to the latest MacOS. That doesn’t bother me though because I’m only generally using them for some of the Applications they provide. Linux is what I use for day-to-day things. In fact most of the applications I use are not Apple’s anyway but 3rd party stuff from other devs. I know I won’t receive the updates for security from Apple but I’m not concerned. It’s my choice after all :smile:

I don’t dual-boot and IMHO there are too many people using Linux who through fear still insist on using Windows as a “just in case” fallback. Take the risk, take the plunge and set yourselves and your machines free! I do not include those who really need Windows for work/study etc, but why not buy an old second-hand PC to run Windows? Why? Because Microsoft wants you! Where is the freedom?

1 Like

I’m 95% Linux but some things like DVD-A are just easier with windows the old software stils works well, My interest with Mac is mainly because i can do it more than anything and the simplicity of most apps, what i don’t like is the way apple locks down the user to only use apple codecs etc.

Which codecs are you talking about? I have never run into any issues apart from it’s own file system.

Mac does not support natively Flac, MKV, and so forth I don’t use MP3, They blacklisted Nvidia, but you can still use it with some cards and clover, in fact with clover you can use AMD CPU have not tried it
I tripple boot on the same machine on 3 SSDs with 3 2tb spinners for storage formated to EXfat.
Enough on Mac its just a play toy for me.

OK, enough on Mac, but VLC and others are available on Mac as well as lots of other Apps that do support those codecs, and Apple does not blacklist those Apps. If you run an Apple computer straight from the box then yeah, you are limited I agree but to say say the OS does not support those things is wrong. They just don’t encourage it, which I also think is wrong which is why I prefer Linux as my everyday OS. I guess this particular part of the topic is over? :smile:

2 Likes

I find that Mac works great for what it tries to be - a proprietary integrated hardware/software solution. I run Mac Os and multiple Linux distros, and run all those Linux distros on Mac hardware either through dual boot or VM. Yes it’s expensive, but I find the total cost of ownership is less as I get a much longer life out of the hardware on Mac hardware than on most other vendors. I run a ton of FOSS software on Mac - not only versions that are ported to MacOs like LibreOffice or VLC, but I build a lot of things on the command line and run them just like Linux. It does take a little translating though - pathnames are different, file locations may be organized different, BSD based stuff can be a little different, and of course there is no Systemd!

The early 90’s were a dark time for Apple. Those whose impressions are that old might re-consider. There is no doubt that they are expensive though.

On the other hand - no Windoze for me. Not even on a virtual machine…

5 Likes

IMO OSX is pretty nice. Not as good as EndeavourOS but not stupidly bad.
Their hardware on the other hand can die in a dumpster fire.

Over-priced crap that not only severely underperforms due to thermal throttling but also destroys itself in the process due to Thermal issues, PCB circuitry frying themselves, planned obsolencence in Comptuter design since mid 2000s, and poor Keyboards.

Worse of all, getting it fixed is nearly impossible at any normal price. They literally lie to you to pay more for repairs.

I seriously don’t understand how anyon could tolerate the BS they do to customers. It’s like they want to get abused by daddy Apple.

2 Likes

Thanks for asking, I hate it! :grin:

4 Likes

I think that is a understatement Cheap parts made in sweatshops user believe its a US product when its not.

MAC runs on any Intel based comp with clover boot loader and selected nvidia cards still I run Catilina flawless with nvidia and of course modern AMD cards.

Yes i do the same only difference mine is known as hackintosh as i run on non Apple hardware

3 Likes

The only thing I find hard about hackintosh is actually getting the iso/dmg without owning a macbook myself.
That and of course its size

Windows is much better than macOS my friend! MacOS is very locked down unfortunately. If you learn Windows, you can do a lot. It’s more powerful than you think!

I was on Mac for 10 years before switching to Windows/Linux. I will never go back to Apple!

Edit:

With that said, I hated Windows 6 months before I got into it.