Video: Will there be fewer Arch based Linux Distros in the future

Yes, definitely on the pompous side. I much prefer Old Tech Bloke.

4 Likes

I don’t like the way he talked about stuff as if you knew the buzzword and only stopped to explain the buzzword after he’d been talking about for a while.

Secondly I’m not sure what he’s got against installers, generally they’re asking you only the stuff that cannot be generalised so installing off a non - personalised config would be the same anyway.

1 Like

Some video should a little grane of salt…sometimes is opinionated. Or feeding distrohoppers…

But everyday is born a new distro lot ground to cover :smile:

1 Like

TL;DW

:speaking_head: “YadaYadaYada”

3 Likes

The people decide, that’s probably why we have :enos: today.

1 Like

Poorly formulated from my side, it seems.

Perhaps

Who is to decide that there is no need for a distro?

(or some such) would have conveyed my meaning better.

1 Like

He teaches. DT tries to impress with buzzwords.

Not at all. I took you to mean it was a rhetorical question: who are “they” to decide what distro survives and what Arch distro is headed for the graveyard.

:enos: exists because there was a need and there was someone @Bryanpwo @joekamprad and others willing to make it a reality. So we, the users will decide, and will be willing to support and build on the founders’ vision. IMHO, that is what will decide its future.

Wow… that was deep :thinking: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

This DT video is great though:

Sorry for OT, couldn’t resist. DT (the :canada: one) is awesome!

5 Likes

:speaking_head: Do we need more Debian-based distros?

Apparently, yes. So thinks at least the developer of GeckoLinux:

:rainbow:

1 Like

I like its motto “Linux, faster than a snail” :snail:

2 Likes

Often he doesn’t even do any homework before doing a review. I find that lazy.

3 Likes

Fortunately, he has that covered - with a video telling you who you should be watching on Youtube…
Personally I have notifications from Brodie - as he comes up with tons of stuff, often extremely interesting and not obvious - recently an interesting look at xdg-ninja which is making a genuinely interesting attempt to help you tidy up your /home directory.

1 Like

I do prefer Brodie to DT, but I don’t understand why he is always yelling! :rofl:

I put it down to long term isolation on Prison Island :wink: I went to the East once, but later went to the West - and boy, that’s a wild place.

1 Like

Blame pipewire, that is not auto-adjusting the volume! :rofl:

2 Likes

Fewer Arch based distros?

Has any one heard of / tried this one?

I see that there is a Phoronix’ article about it from 2 years ago but most certainly to me :blush:

I recently started talking to its main dev @ptr1337. I’m testing out a few things on the Pi :smiley:.

I think it is a really cool project that deserves more recognition.

2 Likes

Nice!
Do they have or going to have an ARM image as well?
I just took a quick glance at it :blush:

Hey!

Actually we do provide a optional x86-64-v3 based optimization, the installer does auto detect if the cpu support the optimization.
Right now we do compile the arch repo’s with these march and gets compiled against it.

Since we do offer custom kernels / scheduler also, I offered to @sradjoker to work on a custom arm kernel. It will take some time, but the coming weeks I think there can be a testing for it soon, if everything runs well.

@pebcak

No, we do not provide arm images and im not sure if we do in the near future since we have nearly no arm developer. I have experience with it but that would bloat my complete time in maintaining the distro.

For now I will work on a kernel for arm64.
I considered to compile some packages on my server with a march optimization for armv8. But its also something which could be added in the future. Maybe a collaboration with endeavouros arm.

6 Likes