Video freezing with audio continuing

I just built a EOS Plasma KDE system with the system specs listed below. At first I thought this was only a problem with the latest version of mythfrontend, a DVR player for the MythTV project. However I have the same problem with a Youtube video playing via Google Chrome browser.

While watching the video, the screen freezes like the pause button was hit but the audio continues. I have all the power management features turned off and the screen locking off. Usually moving the mouse un-sticks the video and it syncs back to the audio.

The TV use is a 4K UHD. I’ve tested it both with 4K with 200% scaling and 1080P with no scaling. The affect is the same.

Operating System: EndeavourOS
KDE Plasma Version: 5.26.3
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.100.0
Qt Version: 5.15.7
Kernel Version: 6.0.10-arch2-1 (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 8 × 11th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz
Memory: 15.0 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® Xe Graphics

Use 5.15 kernel and wait they fix the problem in 6.0

So I’m guessing this is a know problem? Can you point me to more information?

Also, I’m not sure how to roll back to an older kernel in Arch and keep it there? Any advice?

you can use downgrade. You also might want to use the LTS kernel.

Use 5.15 kernel and wait they fix the problem in 6.0

That’s not how fixing bugs works.

Check if you have direct rendering :

inxi -Gx

and hardware acceleration :
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Hardware_video_acceleration

[jim@den-pc ~]$ inxi -Gx
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel TigerLake-LP GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics] vendor: ASRock
    driver: i915 v: kernel arch: Gen-12.1 bus-ID: 00:02.0
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.4 driver: X: loaded: intel
    unloaded: modesetting dri: i965 gpu: i915 resolution: 1920x1080
  API: OpenGL v: 4.6 Mesa 22.2.3 renderer: Mesa Intel Xe Graphics (TGL GT2)
    direct render: Yes

I installed linux-lts and linux-lts-headers and now I’m running:
5.15.80-1-lts

It will take some time to work with the video apps to see if that fixes this issue.

I had a look about your graphic card, it’s good for 1366x900 resolution, not powerful enough for 1920x1080 (gaming under Windows). For 4k, you should leave the upscaling to the TV.

Not sure your data is correct. First I would never run Windows for gaming. Or anything else. It works great at 4k with 200% scale factor i. EOS PLASMA.

I have tested Steam for gaming as a gfx evaluation. Works great, but all the games i have access to are 1080p.

But other than that, i quit gaming once i saved the princess in Super Mario back in the 1990s. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if the issue is well known and I can’t point you to a place to read. There are successful kernels for me, even among 6.0.x, and unsuccessful ones.

Still having the video freezing with audio continuing with the LTS kernel. Maybe it’s Desktop Environment related instead.

Developers fix it, then break it again, and yes, an unlucky wave now. Wait for the next kernel, maybe two. I hope you find the right one for you. Too early to think about other reasons.

It’s also possible KDE has too much overhead.

i thought about some of what was recommended or speculated and decided that I didn’t want to build a new system with EOS and a bunch of different desktops with and without LTS kernels. I decided to first try a more “beginner” OS and installed LinuxMint 21. That had its own challenges leading me to upgrade my BIOS on the NUC which luckily just come out that day. I had no issues with Youtube or MythTV video playing and freezing but after a recent Google Chrome update it will not play 1080P Youtube videos, but 720P and 2160P do play well. They break up and look like every few lines get shifted left like a set of stairs. Of course Firefox works.

I think I need to buy a case of 1TB nvme stick so I can just keep different OS setups around.

I think is maybe time to use clonezilla and image my current system and then try EOS-XFCE4 or Cinnamon to see what it does with video. I would hope Intel TigerLake-LP GT2 Iris Xe GFX would be well supported in all kernels at this point.

I was able to install EOS-Cinnamon. I had no issues with video freeze up with Youtube yet and MythTV seems to play with not freezing up as well.

So it must be a KDE Plasma issue with this combination kernel and hardware.