Using Micro SD card as /home from the start

I just bought a Micro SD card for my Netbook. The internal SSD is quite small (64 GB). I intend to install EndeavourOS with / and /swap on the internal drive while using the Micro SD card as /home. The installer doesn’t seem to offer this option. Am I missing something?

1 Like

I would install everything on the internal SSD since it is the faster one and use the SD card as storage.

You could put your data in directories on the SD card and link them to your home.

7 Likes

I don’t know much about tech, though I’m considered tech-savvy amongst my peers, so I may be wrong, but this seems like a really bad idea that shouldn’t even be possible.

1 Like

Micro SD cards aren’t reliable on the long term, especially when often written, so no this is, as others stated already, a bad idea.

1 Like

Exactly. I have had to restart my tablet so many times simply because the SD card couldn’t be recognised. Linux, by default I think, will not load if it can’t find “permanently mounted” external drives, especially /home.

1 Like

Thank you for the quick responses. I think I’ll go with linking solution.

2 Likes

How reliable uSD cards are is totally dependent on the Manufacturer and Model.

My involvement in ARM has shown me that the right uSD card is very reliable.
As for reliability when often written, when developing scripts for creating images I might totally reformat and do test installs on uSD cards several times a day.

I also have a uSD card (also a Samsung but not the Pro plus model) that was in our cell phone for seven years, then the same uSD card was transferred to the new cell phone. Still works great for cell phone storage.

I use a pool of 3 to 4 uSD cards for testing & debugging and they will perform well for over a year. That’s with numerous total re-formats and and installations.

After a lot of tinkering around with ARM, I now exclusively use the following with great results. Fast and reliable. A benchmark from gnome-disk-utility

uSDcard

All of the above is based on my experiences with ARM. I assume the same applies to x86_64 and Android?

Pudge

5 Likes

It is a SanDisk Extreme microSDXC Pro UHS-I card 256 GB (200MB/s read; 140 MB/s write).
I know how to switch /home after installation, but to be honest, I’m too lazy and am going to avoid the work. Installation is finished now and I’m going to continue tomorrow.

For a person struggling with room, as you said you were, 64GB would make me sweat a little although I generally give an OS 75-100GB. In reality 64 is ample.
Linking /home seems reckless to me. You have to format it like the SSD-proper so they can interact, likely create numerous links and forfeit the card being a storage device.

Also a USB stick or SDD card are not going to be built sturdy for the heavy lifting you are asking it to do. That’s just like my opinion, man. If I was in your shoes I’d live with 64 and make the SDD Card a meda center or a place for all pics/movies/music so they don’t bite into the 64.
2 cents

1 Like

There will be no heavy lifting. Just my music collection (one time copy) and nothing exceptional. Writing documents, a little bit of gimp stuff, surfing. No video editing or other stuff that requires a lot of writing processes.Most likely SD cards in a digital photo camera are more stressed. Regular backups will self evident.My videos are all stored on a NAS.

1 Like

The swap partition is on the internal SSD. Due to the Netbook having only 4 GB of RAM, swap is inevitable.

you have a good plan, then. The NAS don’t hurt either :). 64GB probably requires you to be resourceful and creative, no doubt.

1 Like

SanDisk is the other manufacturer I have had good luck with.

Pudge

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.