USB Drives Invisible After Installation

After a few failed attempts, I was able to do a fresh online install of Endeavour Xfce from a jump (usb) drive. After rebooting into the new system I attempted to use another jump drive to transfer my personal documents, photos, etc. to the home folder of the OS. Neither of the two usb drives were visible in Thunar, and messing around with the system for a while did not resolve my issue. I am back on MX-Linux now, so cannot provide any log information, but I never had this problem on any other distros. If anyone has any suggestions for the next time I try to install Endeavour I would appreciate it.

this must be something on your side, i do a test install with latest packages and it detects and loads usb sticks without any issue:

Jan 26 21:21:59 usb-pc kernel: usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 7 using ehci-pci
Jan 26 21:21:59 usb-pc kernel: usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=18a5, idProduct=0251, bcdDevice=11.00
Jan 26 21:21:59 usb-pc kernel: usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
Jan 26 21:21:59 usb-pc kernel: usb 1-1: Product: STORE N GO
Jan 26 21:21:59 usb-pc kernel: usb 1-1: Manufacturer: Verbatim
Jan 26 21:21:59 usb-pc kernel: usb 1-1: SerialNumber: 1601000001591461
Jan 26 21:21:59 usb-pc kernel: usb-storage 1-1:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
Jan 26 21:21:59 usb-pc kernel: scsi host2: usb-storage 1-1:1.0
Jan 26 21:21:59 usb-pc mtp-probe[1087]: checking bus 1, device 7: "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:0b.0/usb1/1-1"
Jan 26 21:21:59 usb-pc mtp-probe[1087]: bus: 1, device: 7 was not an MTP device
Jan 26 21:22:00 usb-pc mtp-probe[1109]: checking bus 1, device 7: "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:0b.0/usb1/1-1"
Jan 26 21:22:00 usb-pc mtp-probe[1109]: bus: 1, device: 7 was not an MTP device
Jan 26 21:22:00 usb-pc kernel: scsi 2:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Verbatim STORE N GO       1100 PQ: 0 ANSI: 4
Jan 26 21:22:00 usb-pc kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] 30515200 512-byte logical blocks: (15.6 GB/14.6 GiB)
Jan 26 21:22:00 usb-pc kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
Jan 26 21:22:00 usb-pc kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 43 00 00 00
Jan 26 21:22:00 usb-pc kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
Jan 26 21:22:00 usb-pc kernel:  sdb: sdb1 sdb2
Jan 26 21:22:01 usb-pc kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk

Bildschirmfoto_2020-01-26_21-27-40

are usb is usb 2 or 3?
format of the sticks is what? ntfs / fat32 /ext3 /4 ?

usb3 is also working out of the box:
Bildschirmfoto_2020-01-26_21-50-46

Drives are USB 3, format is ext4. It will probably be really hard to diagnose this, but I’ll leave the post up a day or two more in case anyone has any great ideas…

the only thing i can think of is that installation fail to install some packages, may caused by connection issue or mirror issue.

1 Like

if you try to reinstall please think on provifdr install log to us so we can investigate.

Have you tried them on all available usb ports? Some ports might not share the same controller, preventing you from mounting the device.

Edit: Also if you have updated to a newer kernel make sure you have rebooted. There was a kernel update today.

@rocket

First I want to thank you for not giving up and I appreciate that from you!

With regard to not being able to install EOS it’s very rare…

As @joekamprad says some packages may not have been installed on your machine.

Thunar would not be a problem, of course from my point of view, since you can choose another file manager, like Pcmanfm, Nautilus and others …

One important thing would be to install, if you don’t have it installed to continue testing Thunar, the package: thunar-volman → automatic management of removeable devices in Thunar.
As well as the package:
gvfs → virtual filesystem implementation for GIO
gvfs-afc → virtual filesystem implementation for GIO backend, mobile devices.
Then reboot the system.

It would also be interesting, if you could show us the result of these commands:

inxi --usb --usb-tool
dmesg -w     → #in some pastebin

?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Commands

lsblk -fm
   sudo fdisk -l

show much info about all drives and partitions. Maybe that info can give some clue?

The issue might be caused by missing permissions? If so, that can be fixed.

Next time then as thread starter already run mx

hi @rocket,

this probably won’t be much of a help for you now, but i had a similar experience - under kde, though.

checking automount in system settings for portable devices was simply not enough. in the end, it was udiskie that i had to extra install (udisks2 was already part of the system).

now, all drives are recognized instantly. so, perhaps give it another try in the future :wink:

all the best

Please excuse me if this is a silly response, but is gvfs installed? I believe endeavouros installs it by default if you are using thunar, but I’m not sure if you selected all the options when you did the online install. I’ll go one step further with my foolish response and say that you have to select and configure Volume Management in thunar and set the default icons in Desktop. OK, I’m sure you’ve done all that so “back on my head”.

1 Like

All this feedback is really appreciated. It is true that I did deselect some components of Xfce (bluetooth, for example, as I don’t need it, but also a few others), so that could be the problem. I will try to reinstall later this afternoon when I can with all Xfce options included, and will also try to install the suggested packages if I need to. I was an Antergos user for a year or so and really liked it. I like the philosophy behind Endeavour so would like to be able to get it to work. I can do everything I need to do with MX-Linux, but it is a little bloated compared to Endeavour and has some older packages. I’ll leave this thread up and active until I have the time to reinstall, then will report my results. Thanks for the interest.

2 Likes

I have reinstalled, and included the default list of Xfce components. All seems to be working, including the usb drives. I’m not sure what the problem was – possibly a network connection issue as joekamprad suggested. I do want to say that the support shown in this forum is great. I know it is one of the things you are based on, but it is still very good. I would never have gotten such an outpouring of support or non-judgmental help on the Arch forum, for example. Thanks very much – I am on Endeavour now!

3 Likes