USB boot no networks

I have a Network Connection problem and I am a Newbie.
I have a new Vivobook(ASUS Vivobook; Model: 1605V; F1605VAP-DS52 which came with Windows11 installed. I booted the computer with a USB containing an iso for EndeavourOS. Once booted the computer can not find any Networks to connect to. I had checked that it did find my Network when booting from Windows11.
I hesitate to wipe the hard drive and install Linux if in the end the Linux OS can not find a Network
Is this a simple problem or will it require delving into the innards of the OS?

Is it the latest ISO? Boot on it and show the following.

inxi -Na

Rick,

I really appreciate your taking the time to respond.

Yes, this is the latest iso: EndeavourOS_Endeavour-2024.06.25

I ran inxi -Na in Terminal on the Asus laptop. I did not find a clipboard application in EOS on the Asus, so I will manually copy the output (I am using my desktop computer).

Network:
Device-1: Realtek vendor: Foxcom driver: N/A modules: rtw89_8851be, wl
port: 3000 bus-ID: 0000:01:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:b851 Class-ID: 0280

Joe Hall

Edited for correction.

I see two modules listed and nothing loaded. I assume you are looking for WiFi connect and not Ethernet? I hope I’m right on my assumption?

Edit: This is a realtek chip for WiFi and should use the rtw89_8851be module. You could try

sudo modprobe rtw89_8851be

I ran: sudo modprobe rtw89_8851be
There was no response. Terminal reverted back to $ for another entry.

You may also need to remove the module wl first.

sudo modprobe -r wl
sudo modprobe rtw89_8851be

You can also try sudo rfkill unblock all to see if anything is blocking it.
Your other option is to use a mobile phone or ethernet.

I ran: sudo modprobe -r wl and then sudo modprobe rt89-8851be
I received this message: “modprobe: FATAL: Module rt89_8851be not found in directory /lib/modules/6.9.6-arch-1”
sudo rfkill unblock all did not seem to do anything.
I then ran sudo modprobe rt89_8851be again and got the FATAL message again.

I’m just not sure if that chip runs on r8169 kernel module either. You could also try sudo modprobe r8169.

@tjh3nm48
Check in Windows that you have the fast startup disabled in Windows Power Management.

Rick,

I have tried each of your last two suggestions. Neither worked.

I am just barely past a beginner. I can operate Terminal only by following explicit entries like you supplied. I think what I need to do is return this Asus laptop and to purchase a laptop which already has Linux installed. It will cost more than I paid for the Asus, but I am not proficient enough with Linux to get into the innards of the system and sort out problems.

I sincerely appreciate the time and effort you have expended trying to help me. From what I have picked up studying distrowatch.com, I want to give our EndeavourOS a shot as my new system.

Thanks,
Joe Hall

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.