Updating systemd-boot error: command failed to execute correctly

(19/21) Updating systemd-boot
Copied "/usr/lib/systemd/boot/efi/systemd-bootx64.efi" to "/efi/EFI/systemd/systemd-bootx64.efi".
Copied "/usr/lib/systemd/boot/efi/systemd-bootx64.efi" to "/efi/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI".
Skipping "/efi/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI", same boot loader version in place already.
error: command failed to execute correctly
(20/21) Updating the desktop file MIME type cache...

Should I be scared to reboot now ?

Same here in the morning after update. Crossing fingers. Mine has rebooted without any issues

1 Like

This shouldn’t potentially cause any issue as it is about the systemd-boot efi binary installed in the fallback boot path.

You can also run bootctl update manually to copy those binaries to their proper locations.

2 Likes

Had the same message today on an update, reboot was fine on my end.

1 Like

Mm i have the same error and executed your command but that does not change anything:

Skipping "/efi/EFI/systemd/systemd-bootx64.efi", same boot loader version in place already.
Skipping "/efi/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI", same boot loader version in place already.

System boots fine but there is a pause in the boot process that wasn’t there before

I should think that this means that the updated version of the systemd-boot efi binaries are in the place where they belong. Nothing to be done further.

I am on Arch and I don’t use EnOS’ automation in regard to systemd-boot (etc.) so I have to execute bootctl update manually whenever a new systemd version is released.

Regarding the pause, I wouldn’t know what it might cause it. You could perhaps investigate your journals and see if you can detect any “anomaly”.

1 Like

Same here after this morning’s update. I haven’t rebooted yet as chreckrebuild detected proton needed rebuilt. commencing with that first. I’ll report back here after hopefully successful reboot.

This is not an issue. It is simply that when systemd detects no changes are needed it returns an error which pacman reports.

I have made changes to kernel-install-for-dracut to suppress this error a couple of weeks ago, I just haven’t released a new version yet.

8 Likes

I am not sure what that issue it but it is probably unrelated to this message.

You need to look at the logs and/or systemd-analyze critical-chain to see what is causing the delay.

I will check the logs, thanks!

graphical.target @3.166s
└─multi-user.target @3.166s
  └─cups.service @2.869s +296ms
    └─nss-user-lookup.target @3.081s

this is the output of systemd-analize critical-chain.
It seems cups or nss-user-lookup.target takes longer than normal i guess

Not a big deal though

1 Like

Just updated this morning, systemd update, and got the command failed to execute correctly yet again…

(15/15) Updating systemd-boot
Copied "/usr/lib/systemd/boot/efi/systemd-bootx64.efi" to "/efi/EFI/systemd/systemd-bootx64.efi".
Copied "/usr/lib/systemd/boot/efi/systemd-bootx64.efi" to "/efi/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI".
error: command failed to execute correctly
[wombat@endeavouros ~]$

Any ideas why this continues to happen?

EDIT:
I understand @dalto’s statement here…

But the enduser could be flooding the forums if this warning message continues. And I suspect it will, right?

1 Like

That seems unlikely as it has shown that way for quite some time now and very few people have noticed it.

No, as soon as I release a new version of kernel-install-for-dracut it will go away.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.