Updating after a long time

Sometimes there may be times when I might not use a computer for perhaps a month or something, if I start it back up and update it, would it break stuff, if so is there another way to perform updates in such a way that prevents breaking my system?

You should be fine and it might be better doing so. Sometimes updates cause problems and they get fixed shortly after release.

2 Likes

If I update my system every single day, can it brick my system completely?

Anything is possible, I guess. I never had a problem other than a minor inconvenience in 4 years running Arch-Arch based linux. It would be a rare thing for an update to bring your whole system down.

1 Like

You’ll be very very unlucky so. Been using Archlinux on my computer since 2009, and I had to reinstall once due to a tricky glibc update… Once in 10 years - besides moving to another computer - this is not bad :slight_smile:

1 Like

@unix_lover
There are some measures to take that may make life easier:

• Make useful and working (=tested) backups to another disk. This is the most important thing to do, and a recommended thing to do in any system.
  • Use a program like timeshift or similar to be able to revert a problematic update.
  • Install the LTS kernel in addition to the default stable kernel. Then you have another kernel to fall back into if one kernel update causes trouble.
  • Keep a working EndeavourOS installer USB stick around. With that you can run corrective commands (using arch-chroot) in case something goes really wrong. And the EndeavourOS forum people can help if needed. :slight_smile:

With these measures, user has a much better chance of surviving problematic updates.

4 Likes

I agree about always having a USB installer available, and making useful working backups. I double backup the week’s bits and pieces every Friday, onto externals, then run updates via TTY, and don’t have any issues.

1 Like

I will try this out mate :slight_smile:

I have no idea how to use chroot but will ask the community thanks :slight_smile:

I hope the updates aren’t as bad as Windows 10’s feature updates?

No worries … you can choose, within a sensible time, when you do updates, and there’s no intrusion into anything you’re doing … just the notification that updates are available. Very rarely even need to reboot.

2 Likes

You will have to reboot for core component, like kernel or systemd…

1 Like

Here there are several threads about chroot to read ↓

https://forum.endeavouros.com/search?expanded=true&q=use%20chroot%20
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Chroot#Using_chroot

2 Likes

THanks I will have a look at it :slight_smile: