Updates do not change the build id in gnome-settings and os-release

A small bug from the category of visual: With updates do not change the build id in gnome-control-center and /etc/os-release.
So, for example, even though I currently have all the latest updates installed, my “About” shows 2022-06-23. And the same value in /etc/os-release.

I am not sure that is really a bug.

It is a rolling release so what would be the trigger to update that? I don’t think it should be changed every time you get a package update and there are no release versions. I am not sure that is should be updated.

2 Likes

I understand that this does not affect the functioning of the system.
It’s more a question of aesthetics.
But in that case you should either write “rolling” in all releases instead of the release date, as in the “original” Arch, or release a metapackage which will change these values in /etc/os-release and /etc/lsb-reliase with the release of the next installation image, as in Manjaro, for example.

On EndeavourOS there is no next installation image. On Manjaro once in a while the repo gets updated and you sync to that repo. On Endeavour you install from whatever latest ISO and sync to Arch Linux (and EndeavourOS) which constantly update.

But…why? Those are just ISO versions. Why would that change the build version on the system?

Released ISO is a fixed snapshot of the installer configurations and calamares package. This is a good information in case you need to troubleshoot…

I’m sorry, maybe I didn’t express myself correctly (or maybe my bad English is to blame). I understand the concept of the rolling release.
But nevertheless, a certain repository snapshot is used as a basis for the installation image and the https://endeavouros.com/latest-release/ section exists for a reason. And I mean that the “build id” is the date of forming the next such “latest release”.
So it would be nice to use “rolling” value instead, if bothering to write new value after the next “last release” is considered unacceptable.
Again, I realize that this is a minor detail - just a visual representation.

Yes. It talks about the changes we have made on the new ISO. However, your system was not installed from that ISO so that wouldn’t be relevant in this case.

When changes are made on the ISO, except for normal package updates, those updates don’t propagate to existing systems. The date on your system identifies the state it was in when you installed it. This is relevant information. Changing it to a later date doesn’t make sense.

It could be changed to “rolling”, but again, why? Generally, for a change to be performed we would want some kind of benefit.

2 Likes

but visual representation of what? if you install with an ISO on 26.4.2022 this ISO release is used to create your system and you will have the setup that is created from that specific ISO this will not change with any future ISO release because it simply has no effect on the setup …

2 Likes

nice same thing in other words posted at the same time :wink:

2 Likes

Well, I’ll take that as some kind of EndeavourOS feature. It just confused me a bit, because I’m used to seeing in the information about the system either some current build or “rolling”. If it is deliberately considered important to specify the version of the installation ISO as this value, then who am I to object to such decisions.

The only thing I consult /etc/os-release for these days is who are you (what distro) (Are you Endeavour, are you Deepin, are you Manjaro). Everything else at this point is historical fluff (imo).

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.